The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default Cherokee NC. / Trophy Trout stream

Cherokee NC. now has a Trophy stream for just Flyfishing! Yes its true! This stream has 4 species of trout... Goldens,Rainbows, Browns and Brookies these trout can be from 2 to 12 lbs. and measure up to 24 inches! I'd been bugging them years ago to do something like this but always got the cold shoulder. This is a 2.2 mile stretch of pure clean cold mountain springs that make this a supurb Trophy water! To fish these waters a $20 pass for the Trophy section and a $7 tribal fee per day if you want to fish another day just pay another $7. The current is strong and a wading belt and wading staff is a must, the fishing seems to be the best early morning and late evenings. I'll put some river shots up with a few Trout shots.... GeorgiaFlyGuide will be doing Guided trips to Cherokee for 2009 we can take up to 4 Anglers per outing.
Lambster
Old 05-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Cherokee NC. / Trophy Trout stream

Hi Lambster,

Thanks for the information. I am not sure the Goldens are a good choice in the water. I think the Brookes or the Rainbows will mix with the Goldens. The end result will be hybrids. At least that is what happen to a stream that I use to fish. The stream had a falls and above the falls were pure Goldens. Below the falls were Golden Hybrids. I don't remember what the Goldens mixed with but it may have been the Rainbows.

Lambster, you haven't been posting as much. That is too bad as you always have good input.

Frank
Old 05-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Lambster: Good to see you have new waters to guide in. Now I know it is true, Georgia has no trout! LOL! Take care.

Larry
Old 05-01-2009, 05:51 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough

I have fished the trophy section in Cherokee a lot. There are some nice fish swimming in those waters. I had a couple younger guys come to me one day and they said they where going to Cherokee fishing and ask me what kind of flies to use in Cherokee. I told them what to use and one of the young guys caught a 27 inch Rainbow and the other guy caught a 25 inch Rainbow.

I did see a Golden Trout the last time I was there fishing that had to be 27-28 inches.

Now there is a big problem of pouching in the trophy waters but so is there here where I live. Anywhere you go on the trophy waters in Cherokee you will see the worm boxes on the bank.

I called the Game Warden yesturday on 5 guys fishing in a Delayed Harvest stream for using ( POWERBAIT ) and keeping fish . None of the 5 had NC fishing licences either .

If anybody is coming to Cherokee to fish the trophy waters and needs a guide you can email me at ( maflyfishing@bellsouth.net ).

Jr

"Catch and Release"
Old 05-02-2009, 07:46 AM

Thank you for your comments....... Good to hear from you Frank,Larry and JR! I don't know if these Trout are sterile or not haven't had time to talk to anyone at the hatchery but it is good to see this Trophy section! We've fished this stream since 1994 and I kept on them to put in a Trophy section of this stretch but couldn't get them to go along with our idea and now they put it in in 05 or 06....... we'll have three guides from our staff doing trips year-round and will be turning in poachers if we see them! Godbless! Tight Lines from the Lambster! www.GeorgiaFlyGuide.com for info on these trips please e-mail us steve@georgiaflyguide.com
Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Amen to that....If everyone turned in poachers when they saw them in action it would be a blessing. People need to get it in their heads that these guys are CRIMINALS! If they will steal fish from you and I, they will also steal your other possessions. Do everyone a favor and drop a dime on the scumbags any time you see them in action.

Dan
Old 05-02-2009, 01:33 PM

Our trip last saturday was fantastic and we'll go back in three weeks to try our luck again! We used a streamer called ( De Silver ) which is sold by BigyFlyco and designed by GeorgiaFlyGuide..... these Rainbows give a hard strike in the med. to fast water with the Browns holding with the Browns in the med. to slow water. I feel that the Trophy signs are to small and hidden video cameras would help keep the poachers at bay! Getting the Lic. plate number on camera plus a check in station with a pass number on it showing that you've checked in with the Trophy station would also help! They have a check in station on certain Trophy streams I've been on, which is a great idea! Some of these folks are local poachers!!!!! We are still doing a fish cout and hoping the population will go up depending on what numbers their putting in. Again we thank bigyflyco for their fantastic streamers they sell each year to the flyfishers. Catch & Release is the only way to get our Trout populations up, this will ensure that future generations of Anglers to have quality fishing for years to come!
GeorgiaFlyGuide
Old 05-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

"I did see a Golden Trout the last time I was there fishing that had to be 27-28 inches."

Hi Lambster,

If your Golden Trout are getting to 27"-28" then they are not the California Golden Trout that I was talking about.

Frank
Old 05-03-2009, 07:49 AM

Hello Frank

They call them Goldens........ but I think their albino Rainbows and they call them Goldens.... Yes they are very large and they are fed good to get the size they are as are the rest of the Trout put in. The stream bottom had good food content as well as good hatches of Caddis, Stone flies and Mayflies. They had talked about putting feeders along the river to help keep the fish its size. Georgia's average tailwater Trout for Trophy's are around 23 inches or more and around 5 to 10 lbs. On Ravens Fork I'm not sure how many trout per mile their are....... Trophy sections are very nice but have their problems!!! Tight Lines! GodBless!

GeorgiaFlyGuide
Lambster
Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I slid over there last friday for a few hours. After a four stop adventure to find permits I got on fish right away. My biggest was a 22" (Camera Battery died) and I landed six or seven total. The smaller rainbows were almost too easy. But I had at least five fish on that were in the 25"+ class. The problem I had was I needed to throw such a big mend into my line I wasn't getting good hook sets with the size 20-24 midge nymphs the fish were on. Not that it's easy to get a good hook set with that small of a gap anyway. I had one fish on that was pushing 32" class. The Albino Goldens were extremely wary. I suspect they have seen more then a few flies this season all ready. I will be back in the fall with more time.