The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 11:54 PM

Tommy1wt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Breaking in my 1 wt!

Yeah, one of my friends swears by rings. I think this is just a sense of taste issue. But mechanically it is a weaker link; obviously you would never see rings on a 12 wt fighting a tuna or tarpon. But that sort of issue would never be encountered on an ultra-light so it doesn't matter.

I just said DT since that's all I have in the 2wt. I only use it to make 20' roll casts with my back against a boulder or a tree. The longer Superfine 1wt really roll casts a lot better than my TFO.

But a lot of my fishing is pretty technical where I'm wedged between boulders or propped between a ledge and a tree, and I'm just dappling 10 feet of leader from an elevated position with foliage and rock all around me, and so the shorter TFO just gives me a bit more room.

In fact, if I had the loot, the Superfine 2wt is a 6' rod that would be best suited for me. I bought the Superfine 1wt thinking that 7' 6" was a giant difference than the 8' 6" 3wt I used as my lightweight gear, but in my mountain spring fishing, less is certainly more.

I test-cast a ZG Ion 2wt at my Orvis store. That's a 2wt as well. I only did it because if you test cast that rod they give you a $10 gift certificate and I needed a new fly box. That's a crazy rod. Maybe when I get a BMW...
Old 06-06-2009, 02:32 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy1wt View Post
Maybe when I get a BMW...
Beemers are good!!

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 06-06-2009, 07:16 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice rod and photos, Richard! I've never fished anything lighter than a 4wt.
I fished some really light spinning gear way back (20 yrs ago), and landing
fish was never a problem.

I expected that the rings on my bamboo rod would have to be adjusted constantly. That is not the case, and they hold the reel as well as any screw
type I've owned. The reel seat wood is finished matte, so that might contribute some, but I suspect it's just the right size rings on the right
size seat, with the right reel .