The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default 5/3 Lots of trout!

Still rain, on and off, but I have a wonderful waterproof jacket!
I received my 1wt on Friday and went fishing in the rain Fri, Sat, and Sun today.
I caught 11 trout today...... and they will restock tomorrow! LOL For the last couple days nobody was fishing except me.
This Superfine is the best rod I ever owned, by far! A perfect cast every time and a quiet presentation every time.
I went back to a 6X tippet. Any 18 or bigger will easily accept a 6X. The 7X seems OK for tiny drys, but a 6 will turn over a beadhead a lot better.
With a light rod, I seem to mend and manipulate the fly much better.
Every time the rain stopped, the birds chirped, and the brook babbled.
What a wonderful time today. I'll find it hard to pick up a heavy rod from now on.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4224.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4234.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4241.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4245.jpg

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5/3 Lots of trout!

It looks like a "One Ounce" rod. What weight?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:10 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Joni,
It's a Orvis Superfine 1wt. 7'6" long and weighs 1.5oz.
The rod is "full flex" and makes a perfect cast every time.
You won't believe me but: I can cast over 60' with no prob at all. In the small streams I fish, I only cast 20' max!
I love this rod. It is so light, I can hardly feel it in my hand. The one wt Gen 3 line is also super light.
"I'll never give up my one ounce rod until someone pulls the beautiful thing from my cold dead hand."

- Dylan
Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

FlyRichardFly: Looks like your having a blast with that new rod, nice work!

Larry
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you. I forgot the Superfines in the smaller weights had the bands. They just called them One Ounce in the catalog (although they were slightly over that)
Allot of people didn't care for the cork and bands. I told them they are wonderful and hold the reel very nice.

I have the 7' 4wt one ounce full flex.
But I preferred Orvis SUPERFINE line on my 2 weight and 3 weight. Still the Gen 3 but very thin diameter line.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:10 PM

That's the line I got. The Gen 3 Superfine line.
It is specially made for a Superfine rod. A little different taper and a shorter belly on the line.
Both are $69, so I purchased the Superfine line.

- Dylan