The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 12:30 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default Reel change today!

I posted about how great my new 1wt Superfine is. It still is, the most fishing fun I ever had!! I highly recommend that rod to anyone who fishes small streams.
The rod came with a free reel. I picked the BBS because I already have a BLA for 1 to 3wts.
The BBS I has a 2.5" diameter, while the BLA I has a 3" diameter. The weights are 3.2 and 3.9ozs.
The BBS is so tiny, it puts a coil in the 1wt line, and with the short rod handle, the 3.9 reel actually balances better.
I caught lots of trout again today. The water came down and is pretty clear now....... more rain tomorrow!!
The last pic shows the BBS reel.

Longrods forever
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4281.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4284.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4290.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4293.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...IMGP4234-1.jpg

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 05-09-2009, 01:53 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Reel change today!

yeah, but the battenkill BBS just looks "right" on that rod... so would an original battenkill. what kind of line do you use on the 1 wt? and did you keep the fish? if catch and release, i have to say that those photos are the perfect examples of what NOT to do to fish for c&r.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

FlyRichardFly: Looks like you had another great outing fishing with your new rod, congrats! I agree that new reel looks nice.

Larry
Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

nice looking browns
Old 05-12-2009, 01:13 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
what kind of line do you use on the 1 wt? i have to say that those photos are the perfect examples of what NOT to do to fish for c&r.

eric
fresno, ca.
Hey, my dear west coast fly fishing bro...... you are correct, but it was raining that day. I usually don't put the trout on the grass for a pic, but the net I purchased isn't a fine mesh net! My bad, now I leave the trout in the water the whole time and take the hook out with forceps.
The line I use is Orvis "Superfine" Gen 3 line. It is made especially for the thin rod, and I must say that they got the taper perfect!!
The next time I get to Cabelas, I'll get a light, close mesh C&R net. They don't have them in stores close to me.
Cheers

- Dylan
Old 05-12-2009, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Richard,

Eric is right but every now and then we slip up. It's OK, you were excited and wanted to share the photos. Stuff happens, leaving them in the water is best But on rainy days I've stuck them out for a quick photo myself.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
yeah, but the battenkill BBS just looks "right" on that rod...
eric
fresno, ca.
I switched back to my BBS I reel!
After I read this post, I closely compared the two reels. The reason for the "line coil" was that I didn't have enough backing on the tiny reel.
I put more backing on and respooled the line and now it fills the reel to the top.
The large arbor reel was a little too big for the tiny rod. I can listen to reasonable thoughts about my fly fishing...... and adjust if I find it is "total logic"
Live long and prosper!

- Dylan
Old 05-12-2009, 08:45 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

"and adjust if I find it is "total logic"

i lead my life with a heathy mix of instinct and logic when it comes to aesthetics, trusting through experience my brain's left side knows what the right is trying to say. can't YOU read my mind???

chuckling

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 PM

jdub is on a distinguished road

I alternate between two BBS I's and a CFO on my 1 wt Superfine. The BBS I balances the rod better than the CFO but the CFO looks and sounds pretty cool. Both are great reels.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:10 AM

Wow!! So I'm not the only one!
Beautiful fish, I can't wait until I take the tiny rod for some warmwater fish.
How do you like your Superfine?

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4267.jpg

- Dylan