The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 02:08 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default Everything is Relative! E=MC2

I'm still catchin' way more than my share with my 1wt!
I took a gamble a while ago and purchased a 1wt Superfine. I thought I would have more fun fishing with a light rod, but I thought I wouldn't catch as many as with my bigger tackle. I also thought that any trout over 15" would break the tiny rod. Boy was I wrong!! I can place my home tied tiny flies exactly where I want them...... and with tiny line and tippets, I can make the flies look just like the real thing.
Everything is Relative!
I caught a 19" Brown on my 1wt with a 5X leader. No problem!! The big trout pulls like a carp, but the tiny rod can handle it!!
I've caught a couple wild browns, about 12"ers, and they jump like crazy! When the trout stop biting because the water is too hot and shallow, I'll still have a ball fishing the feeder creeks for sunfish, fallfish, rockbass, and small smallmouths!
I release everything anyway, so why not let the fish put a bend in my rod?
Also...... and I must say this: The last few months were very depressing for me fishing wise. All the fish are in a decline now, and the waters just keep getting shallower all the time. It was no fun for me to fish the shallow creeks with a heavy rod and big flies, or a UL spin rod with a Rooster tail.
Now I have a ball with my tiny one ounce rod and my tiny home made flies.
If the trout stop, I can see myself having a ball in a local creek catchin' sunfish and fallfish.
Longrods Forever

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4315.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4323.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4339.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4345.jpg

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 05-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Everything is Relative! E=MC2

RIchard,

I have a little 3wt. flea made of cane and when using it I have a lot of fun too. Fishing small streams and rods is like working in a lab, you will learn more while involved in an intimate style of fishing like you describe than people who are out flailing a big river will. When you move from the small brooks to the big rivers you will take your small stream skills with you and be a better fisherman.

That's my two cents anyway,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-12-2009, 08:35 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

"I release everything anyway, so why not let the fish put a bend in my rod?"

perhaps that was a rhetorical question but even though letting fish bend a rod is hellish fun, if you overplay them which one can do on light tackle if not careful, they might just end belly up after they've been released. especially if water levels are low and warming (less oxygen).

even...if...you...see...them...swim...off

there seems to be a lot of beginners reading these days. thought i'd introduce that concept.

nice fish btw.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:29 AM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough

Richard or any of you other light-liners--One question. Do you overweight you line? I have a 7'6" 3wt. that I am having a little trouble with. I had a 20# loop-to-loop connector but I recently re-rigged with a Zap-a-Gap no knot set up. Now it's not casting as well--just floating it out there with little accuracy. Do you think that much weight change could make that much difference?
Old 05-16-2009, 08:26 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softouch333 View Post
Richard or any of you other light-liners--One question. Do you overweight you line?
I don't, but some do. I purchased a 1wt 7.5' Orvis Superfine rod. I also picked up Orvis Gen 3 Superfine line. It's WF floating with a special taper for the Superfine rod. The line has a smaller belly and a little different taper.
I can cast over 60' if I want to. That line is a perfect match for the rod. Very easy to make a accurate cast with a quiet presentation every time.
The rod is high modulus with a full flex. I suppose a 2wt would work also, but I wanted a 1wt thin line.
The line comes with a loop at the end. I don't like loop to loop connections, so I just tie a Uni knot to the loop. Much better than a nail because it is a centered connection. When I change leaders I just have to be careful as not to cut the loop.
I don't think a little zap-a-gap will overweight the line as to make it not cast well.

- Dylan
Old 05-16-2009, 09:22 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I have a 6'6" 3 wt that I put dt 4 wt line on. I found it easier and more accurate in close. I can still cast more line than I intend to on the small streams I bought it for. I do find getting too much line out over loads the rod. I tried 2 wt dt line, too. It cast fine with lots of line out, but not in close. Wf 3 wt cast good in most instances but, the 4 wt works best for me with what I intended for this rod. Someone else my set this up differently.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
even...if...you...see...them...swim...off
eric
fresno, ca.
Are you kidding, dude!!
99% of all the anglers that fish my local trout streams are power bait on a treble hook guys!
So many times I have caught trout with snelled hooks sticking out of their mouths.
I may be the only one left in PA that wants the trout to survive!!
I like to fish with a high quality outfit so I can enjoy my time in the wilderness.
I don't like to yank the trout out of the water with heavy tackle like you do!!
I have a personal Heavenly experience every time I go fishing. In a couple weeks I'll be visiting my daughter that lives in LA. I just might bring my flyrod along for the trip. Any west coast fish to catch on a flyrod?
But "Shine on you crazy diamond" anyway.

- Dylan
Old 05-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Nice looking fish, I bet they were fun on that rod (I know I love mine )
That sure looks like some nice water to fish on. I would have to agree that it is quite fun fishing the light rods, and they can definitely handle larger fish with no problem. Thanks for sharing.

@ Softouch333: Another "light liner" chiming in here. I personally do not over line my rods. But I know plenty of people that do.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:13 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

A friend and I go around and around on this one!
I say you should always use the largest rod and heaviest leaders possible, and still remain effective. He says you can land big fish on small rods.
The question isn't for me, is it possible, it is rather, whether it is good for fish.
Heavier gear means you can play them briefly and release them with more of their energy stored for later.
We "steal" the energy they need to compete in life. Yes it is fun to play a fish, but think of their needs too!
Care-taking a lake gave me plenty of opportunity to see fish over- played. We eventually banned rods under five weight on the lake because of fatally stressed big fish. So what if you land it,and release it, if it dies anyway?
I like a two sided conversation when I hook up Walter, instead of following along like a little kid with a big dog on a lite leash.

Bigfly
Old 08-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
A friend and I go around and around on this one!
I say you should always use the largest rod and heaviest leaders possible, and still remain effective. He says you can land big fish on small rods.
The question isn't for me, is it possible, it is rather, whether it is good for fish.
Heavier gear means you can play them briefly and release them with more of their energy stored for later.
We "steal" the energy they need to compete in life. Yes it is fun to play a fish, but think of their needs too!
Care-taking a lake gave me plenty of opportunity to see fish over- played. We eventually banned rods under five weight on the lake because of fatally stressed big fish. So what if you land it,and release it, if it dies anyway?
I like a two sided conversation when I hook up Walter, instead of following along like a little kid with a big dog on a lite leash.

Ah yes the oh so common myth that UL rods kill fish and the almighty 5WT saves fish. Normally I don’t bother posting replies to these posts but I decided to today.

When I see this common myth posted several thoughts come to mind. 1 The person has never fished an UL rod and is just parroting what they have heard elsewhere or 2 They have fished an UL rod but they do not know how to play a fish.

The simple truth about the matter is that it takes me no longer to land a fish on my rods 3WT and under as it takes people on their “broomsticks”. The fact of the matter is that if one knows how to play a fish one does not have any issues landing fish on UL equipment. Rather than writing out an entire book for a reply I will post some links that you may find useful on the subject.

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/topic/1421

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/topic/59

http://www.byrdultrafly.com/ulmyths.htm

http://www.byrdultrafly.com/ulmyths2.htm