The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 08:40 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough
Default Any Good Books???

I am looking for book recommendations. I am looking for two different kinds of books.

First, I'm looking for something that goes into trout biology/life-cycle kind of thing. I would love something written for the average person, but considering I'm looking for something of depth, I'll work my way through a science laden read.

Second, I am looking for more books on techniques, skills, reading water, etc but not for the beginner. I feel like most books I pick up are for the complete novice. Here I would prefer something more technical, as I want to become better faster, but I just started reading "Trout Bum" and cant put it down. So I guess I'm asking for books that you feel made you a better fisherman.

I am still new at the trout game and would really appreciate any recommendations, thanks.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Good Books???

Trout and Salmon of North America by Dr. Robert Behnke and Joe Tomelleri (illustrator). Scientific, beautiful, and informative. milt.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:34 AM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Don't forget your bugs!

Check out "Fish food" by Ralph Cutter.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:27 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

"What the Trout Said" by Datus Proper.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 AM

bwofish is on a distinguished road

this book is great for learning hatches and what depth to fish your flies, I'd recommend reading it several times, theres lots of stuff in it.
Amazon.com: Handbook Of Hatches: Introductory Guide to the Foods Trout Eat & the Most Effective Flies to Match Them (9780811731829): Dave Hughes: Books Amazon.com: Handbook Of Hatches: Introductory Guide to the Foods Trout Eat & the Most Effective Flies to Match Them (9780811731829): Dave Hughes: Books

I'd also recommend "On the trout stream with Joe Humphries", it's a great book for fishing tactics and reading water.
Joe Humphreys's Fly Fishing
Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Here is a list of all the public domain books on Fly Fishing on Google Books. I'm sure that there are a few that cover what you need.

Search results for “fly fishing” - Google eBookstore
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Dave Whitlocks guide to aquatic trout foods is a great book.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Any Good Books???

Thank you everyone. I will be looking into probably all of them. Ant the google book stuff, awesome, just awesome.. Now i will be able to eat, sleep, and breath the stuff.. my lady friend might put a hex on you..
Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 PM

eatapeach1965 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
Dave Whitlocks guide to aquatic trout foods is a great book.
+1 on that.

And anything by Tom Rossenbaur(SP) he wrote "Prospecting For Trout" and another about reading the rivers. I love both of them.

Lefty Krehs 'Presenting the Fly' and 'Advanced Flyfishing Techniques' is great too

I love Trout Bum. I have read all of his books. I'm reading "Fools Paradise" now.