The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 03:37 AM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default Does salt water run off effect Trout?

Just a quick question........ in Georgia we had our worst snow since I've lived here and fished the Chattahoochee River saturday and noticed that from above the bridge we caught alot of nice fish in the DH section of the river but below the bridge not a sigle fish was caught! Just wondering if the runoff from the bridges with the salt they used so much on the bridge would cause the fish not to bite.... anyone got any idea's? tight lines!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:53 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Does salt water run off effect Trout?

I don't know for sure,, but I would say it sounds something related to run off from the road had an effect on the fish. If it didn't effect the trout, then maybe it effected their food source. I am no scientist but I think that a change in salinity/chemical (don't think road salt just sea salt, you know) would have a faster impact on the smaller organisms... But again, just a guess, I have been reading a lot so I'll keep it in mind and if i come across anything I'll let you know... Sk
Old 01-23-2011, 10:04 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambster View Post
Just a quick question........ in Georgia we had our worst snow since I've lived here and fished the Chattahoochee River saturday and noticed that from above the bridge we caught alot of nice fish in the DH section of the river but below the bridge not a sigle fish was caught! Just wondering if the runoff from the bridges with the salt they used so much on the bridge would cause the fish not to bite.... anyone got any idea's? tight lines!
In a word, Yes. This is one of the main reasons Alaska quit putting salt on roads quite awhile ago. Not only that it is severly corrosive to the underbody of vehicles.

The runoff into the streams effects any of downriver waters to a certain extent but the higher the concentration the worse it is.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

What Nerka said,

This is a trade off that states have been making for years. Although I was not a fisheries Bio student I had enough prerequisite chemistry, Bio., and Zoology classes to figure out that anything being added to runoff water is not good. This even includes silt from erosion so any chemical additives are detrimental for sure.

Sorry to say,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-24-2011, 01:54 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

No salt on the roads here in Vermont for good reason...what it does to water quality on many levels. Our neighbors to the west in New York, however, use it by the mega-ton. Slow learners, I guess.

Salt your food sparingly now,
Gary
Old 01-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Lambster: Good to see you Georgia boys didn't freeze to death after all and now are out hitting the water! The national news was covering the freezing wx down there, it looked pretty bad especially with the amount of ice you had on the roads. Good to see you fishing again!

Larry

Larry
Old 01-24-2011, 06:11 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about

Men thanks for the help on some great info on this problem! Just glad to know that salt does effect the streams when it runs off..... going to give it another shot next weekend if the weather stays calm and not so dang cold! Thanks for all your help! What fantastic friends we have on this site!!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:17 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I wish Ohio would catch on, not only is the massive ammount of salt eating my truck its rough on my dogs feet. The don't call this area the Rust Belt for nothing!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
The don't call this area the Rust Belt for nothing!
Indeed!!! Same here next door to ya!!

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

I was bored did a little Googleing, figured I'd share....

What Happens to Salt (NaCl) in the Environment
The applied salt dissolves into 40 percent sodium ions (Na+) and 60 percent chloride ions (Cl-) in the melting snow and ice and make their way into the environment.
Chloride(Cl-): Chloride is highly soluble, very mobile, and its density allows for it to settle to the bottom of a waterbody. Chloride is toxic to aquatic life at levels above 230 mg/l, which is the state (NH) water quality standard. There is no natural process by which chlorides are broken down, metabolized or taken up by vegetation. In 2008, New Hampshire listed 19 water bodies impaired by chloride; in 2010 that number increased to 40. Trends show that chloride levels continue to rise with increasing use of road salt. Although chloride does not pose a human health concern, it can affect the taste of drinking water.
Sodium (Na+): The transport of sodium in the environment is not as prominent as chloride due to ion exchange; however, this exchange can alter the soil chemistry by replacing and releasing nutrients such as calcium, magnesium and potassium into the groundwater and surface water. This can lead to increased nutrient concentrations and affect the ability of the water to buffer acid deposition impacting the aquatic environment. Contamination of sodium in drinking water is a concern for individuals restricted to low-sodium diets due to hypertension or high blood pressure. The USEPA has set an advisory limit for drinking water for public water systems at 20mg Na/L to assist doctors in making recommendations for those patients on a salt restricted diet.
Road Salt Additives: Additives to road salt like ferrocyanide, which is used as an anti-caking compound in large salt supplies, can have impacts on both the environment and human health due to cyanide ions being released by certain types of bacteria as well as from exposure to sunlight. The USEPA in 2003 added this compound to its list of toxic pollutants under section 307(a) of the Clean Water Act.