The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 03:53 PM

p175634 is on a distinguished road
Default The Cats Whisker Streamer is a classic in Britain. Have you used it in the US?

Many classic British designed flies have crossed the Atlantic and became popular. Simularly North American patterns like the Wulff, Humpies, Bombers, Princes etc... are used regularly in Europe.

Has anyone used the Cats Whisker Streamer designed by David Train in the 1980s. it is very cleverly designed. Small bait fish dart around. David used marabou to give the fly movement on the retrieve. he added chain eyes so that on the pause it would appear to dart downwards and then dart in a different direction on the next retrieve.

I have found them effective for lake fishing especially in the Autumn when the bigger fish are looking at putting on winter pounds.

Cats Whisker single hook streamer lures

If you have used them what fish have you caught with them?

tight lines
Craig moore
www.flyfishing-flies.com
Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 PM

Sandwich is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Cats Whisker Streamer is a classic in Britain. Have you used it in the US?

Greetings!

I've tied up several different variations of this fly; all have caught fish!

The most successful variation contains black Marabou tail and wing, black body (with and without a cone head). This fly is a deadly leech imitation for early season Smallmouth Bass.

Another variation that works well: white Marabou tail and wing, purple body. This fly has caught Large & Smallmouth Bass, Crappie, assorted Bream, etc.

A version I'll tie for this year will be with a chartreuse body, white tail/wing and a variation with black tail/wing.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:37 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Re: The Cats Whisker Streamer is a classic in Britain. Have you used it in the US?

Why yes i have. Here a year ago i got bored and started browsing looking for easy flys to tie well the cats whisker fit the bill so i tied one up with a white tail and wing and a chartreuse body with i believe just a bead head and it did catch me a few smallies and the pan fish tried to eat it. I have since tied some in red and green and yellow with different heads like bead eyes or bead head but havent fished them since. (havent fished at all in the past 6 months)
Old 02-16-2011, 07:59 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I really like the fly and plan on tying up a version with e shorter tail to use for the upcoming shad run. White tail and wing with a flo pink body. Should be a killer. Just got to figure out how to tie the wing in so it lays right.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Craig,

It would be much more helpful if you were to replace your link with a nice picture of the fly along with the tying recipe. You could then post the pattern and tying instructions to our "Share Patterns" forum here. Generally when someone posts a link that directs us to a sales page I will edit it out right away but since you are a member on our brother forum UK. I've left the link there for you to edit. Eventually I'll take it out but would rather if you did.

Regards,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-16-2011, 03:18 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Looks a lot like the bunny clousers I use for Large Mouth. This is my "go to" LMB fly. The Marabou makes sense as a lighter substitute for bunny strips, especially on a smaller fly.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
I really like the fly and plan on tying up a version with e shorter tail to use for the upcoming shad run. White tail and wing with a flo pink body. Should be a killer. Just got to figure out how to tie the wing in so it lays right.
Tracker,
I would be really interested in seeing a pic of that fly when its done. I hit the Delaware for the Shad run every year and always use the same darter fly. size 2 hook, tinsle down the shank and a small chenelle head in neon colors. They work very well but wouldn't mind another Shad fly in my flybox.