The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 06:53 PM

bandree is on a distinguished road
Default Feed Fed Trout Question

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I have just gotten into fly fishing. Here is my question.

The small river I fish on is fed with trout feed. The feed is disperse throughout the river at different points at least 1 or 2 times a week (perhaps even more). Recently until now I have been spin fishing with moderate success. Once in a blue moon I'll keep a rainbow to eat. When looking at the stomach contents the rainbows are always stuffed full of trout feed. My question is... Since the trout are accustom to feeding on trout feed does that make them less prone to eat native food like bugs and terrestrials?

I would like to know what you all think. Thanks!
Brian
Old 05-21-2009, 08:06 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Feed Fed Trout Question

I don't know. It would depend on some things. Where I fish, the person who owns the river frontage stocks, and he stocks large fish, not the juveniles that the state usually stocks.

In the past few years, the fall has seen some real low water situations, so much so that there is almost no flow, just pools with a trickle in between. Of course, my initial thought when I saw this guy (or his employee) feeding the fish (and not getting any strikes) is that I was pissed. Here is this guy feeding fish and I'm not getting nothing.

On his side of things, he's keeping them alive. It's his investment, so he has a vested interest in keeping them alive for the people who show up.

I think that the fish were very picky because of the feeding AND because of the water temps at the time. Even in early October, the water temp was way up, which makes them lethargic.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bandree,

Welcome to the forum. You have an unusual question. Like axle I don't know the answer for sure. Here are my thoughts.

Trout and Bass are predators and I think that this instinct would still be in the trout that are fed. I do know that in Bass lakes that have feeders the fish will still take lures. Being fed doesn't seem to have any impact on the Bass. Since you have caught Trout with spinning gear that would imply that they are still predatory. It could be you are catching fish as a reactionary strike.

I think you will have the best luck with streamers that are flashy and moved rapidly. Or, why not take some of the food and glue it to a hook. use a lot of food so it looks like a big chunk of food. Waterproof your bait fly with something and have a go at it. I suggest waterproofing because I am assuming the food falls apart after it is in the water for a while. You might try just the food with no waterproofing. This way you will get the smell along with a Blue Plate Special. OK, I just names your new fly for you.

If you don't tye flies get a ViseGrip to hold the fly while you work on it.

Frank
Old 05-21-2009, 09:18 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the Group....Trout are going to concentrate on what's available, whether it's trout pellets, minnows, or insects. They are going to feed on what is easiest to take usually. That being said; tye something up that will "match the hatch". Try a foam cylinder in the same color as the pellets...

Dan
Old 05-21-2009, 01:07 PM

Thank you all for your input. I will most definitely try to tie/glue some pellets on or try some foam look-a-likes. Your responses make me feel a little bit better. I was thinking that I would be wasting my time. I will be going up there in June and I'll let you all know how I do.

@axle27 - You know what else I have been thinking... Since there is one person feeding the fish, that person in essence controls their feeding habits (to an extent). So if that person wants a few good days to fish for himself and others, he will stop feeding them and fish when they are hungry. This makes me angry a little because how do I know he didn't just feed the fish the morning of. And I'm fishing that section of the stream and won't even get a hit all day because they are full on pellets. Have you ever thought that too?
Old 05-21-2009, 01:17 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

To some degree. I've met the guys that own the property where I fish in the early spring and late fall. I did not see him feeding fish this past spring, so I think it has alot to do with the weather conditions and the fishes ability to move around. When I witnessed this, it was really, really, REALLY low. Places where I was standing at the edge of a pool in the fall, I'd be up to my hips in regular conditions.

I could see where someone could do that, but these guys fish leisurely at best.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bandee,

If you try gluing pellets to a hook you need to cover the hook with thread and glue it to the hook first. If I were you I would make friends with the owner. He may tell you when and why he feeds the fish.

Frank
Old 05-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Brandree,

If you just started you probably don't tie your own flies so when you visit a fly shop remember these three words, Hare's Ear Nymph. Get a dozen of them in a size that matches the pellet and hopefully the color will be a match for you. If the hare's ears don't match take a look at the other nymphs and find a good match.

The fish will take the nymph as a pallet or a bug, that will be up a matter of their discretion.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 PM

I have actually been trying to tie my own flies. On my way to North Carolina (from Florida) there was huge outdoor recreation store going out of business and they wanted to clear the store as quick as they could and they had all the fly fishing and fly tying gear 75% off. So I picked up a bunch of material.

I will try gluing some pellets and definitely try the Hare's Ear Nymph.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Purina Aquamax 600 is the typical trout chow used in trout farms. The pellets are approximately 3/16 or 1/4" in diameter and dark brown in color. The pellets float. Spun deer hair trimmed to the same diameter is about the best imiitation I have seen.