The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 07:35 PM

dusty h is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing Flaming Gorge Late May

Hey we have a group of people who are making a trip to flaming gorge on may 6-8. What would you guys who have been there and camped would say to be the best spot to camp? Myself and another guy have toons' so we want to get somewhere that we can camp and be pretty close to the water so we can just leave the toons on the shore over night? If it were up to me we would be floating the green everyday that we were though, but since not everyone who is going has toons we will just be spending most of the time at the reservoir. Any suggestions on which campground would be much appreciated.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dusty: Camping on the A Section is not allowed, that is from the dam to the first takeout at Little Hole, seven miles. If you want to camp on the river, the best option would be to put in at the dam, float the entire A section, but instead of pulling out at Little Hole, float on by into the B section, the campsites along the river on the B section are really nice. Some site can be reserved online and the others are reserved on the board at Little Hole near where the host motorhome resides. The issue with floating the B section is the long shuttle down to Browns Park and back. Trout Creek Flies charges $95 for a shuttle, but if you have multiple vehicles you could do it on your own. If you decide to just float the A section, there are a number of campsites in the area, but there was a fire back in 1992 that burnt most of the trees down so a lot of campsites have no trees for shade. My favorite campsite if the Firemans Memorial site, but that is up the hill past the dam. Get on Trout Creek Flies website, in the left sidebar they have a nice description of all the campsites in the area. Some have showers, but most do not.

Larry

Old 05-01-2011, 07:56 PM

Alright so it looks like a friend who has floated the green a few times knows of a good spot that he has camped at in the past so thats what we are going to do and shuttle our stuff ourselves. Another question, my pontoon is an 8' so i just want to make sure there isnt any restriction that would not allow me to use it on the Green, ive floated several other rivers that are more difficult than the green on other trips but i know that some rivers have a length requirment. I search for any length requirements online but havent seen anything in regards to pontoon floats. My buddy said he is pretty sure he floated it on an 8' in the past but now he has a 9' that he picked up so he could add a motor for the lakes. So anyone know on any regulations we need to be aware of before we go?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dusty: I'm pretty sure there isn't a length restriction on that river. The flow right now has been steadily rising and is at 4,600 CFS. Mother-in-Law rapid will get your attention at that flow! http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv?site_no=09234500

Larry

Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 PM

Thats the one that every is saying is really the only one that can be kinda tricky. Dont wanna wind up as a river statistic think ill be alright though, just got the NRS chinook life vest just in case.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Oh also i heard something about having to have a 3rd oar when you floated down? Is this true? That sounds kind of weird since i figure if you cant manage with two, three isnt going to help.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty h View Post
Thats the one that every is saying is really the only one that can be kinda tricky. Dont wanna wind up as a river statistic think ill be alright though, just got the NRS chinook life vest just in case.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Oh also i heard something about having to have a 3rd oar when you floated down? Is this true? That sounds kind of weird since i figure if you cant manage with two, three isnt going to help.
Dusty: I haven't heard of that either, but it is common practice in drift boats. Last fall Kelly's son and some of his friends did a pontoon float on the South Fork of the Snake, on that float Kelly's son broke an oar. Luckily, they had mulitple boats and were able to lash two boats together and continue floating the river. The idea with the third ore is that you would have a spare if you broke or lost an oar.
Here is what the Trout Creek Fly Shop says about the Mother-in-Law rapid:
Mother-In-Law Rapids (4 1/2 miles down): There is a sign on the right side of the river in the pool between Skinny-Dip and Mother in Law for you to recognize this rapid. It is the second rapid that is on a right hand turn in the canyon. Actually this one first curves to the left then radically back to the right against a cliff face that warrants your attention. Every year early in the season when the run-off moisture affects the rocks along the canyon wall, we have a few falling rocks off the cliff that can alter sections of the river. Such a one occurred about 1994 to Mother in Law rapid. We had a major rock-fall that changed the bottom end of this rapid and made it more difficult. Initially it is best to start into this rapid center or on the far right. Then cut to the left or stay on the rollers in the middle until nearing a prominent new boulder which is situated on the right side of center, near the bottom curve. There are two pillow rocks that is best to split then row always against the fast current sliding to the right and out a narrow gap in the rocks to the right. It use to be that one could row right down the cliff edge just being careful not to get swept into it, but the rock-fall has cut off this route and blocks the entire left side of the river at the bottom necessitating the exit on the right chute. The large rock on the right at the bottom is a boat-eater of the first magnitude. As I right this there is a canoe wrapped around it, and there will be around twenty boats and raft eaten by it this summer as there is every year.
OK, here is my take on this rapid: It will be a turn to left, followed by a sharp turn to the right with a sheer rock wall on the left side. Enter the first turn in the center or on the right side, that will set you up for the sharp left turn. Initially, you will want to face the right as the river turns right so you can row backwards (where your strength is) to keep you off the right bank, then as the river turns right turn so you face the left wall, at that point you will see the big rock at the bottom, just row backwards so as to avoid that obstacle. At anything above the winter flow of 850 CFS the pillow rocks will not come into play, all you have to do is row to avoid the big rock at the bottom, it shouldn't be that hard but at 4,000 CFS things are going to be happening pretty fast.

Larry

Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM

Of course they would open the flood gates right before our trip sigh.... Doubt we'll be floating, looks like reservoir fishing for us and beer drinking.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Dusty: I guess they did open the flood gates, now the flow is at 10,000 CFS, I'd sure like to see what that looks like, especially on Mother-in-Law rapids! I think last year it topped off at 6,800 CFS. I'm guessing the walking path is mostly under water at that flow. Keep an eye on the USGS streamflow, maybe you will get lucky and the flows will come down by the end of the month. USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 09234500 GREEN RIVER NEAR GREENDALE, UT
If the flows are in the 4-5k range you should still be able to find some good water for wading, just go down to Little Hole and walk up river on the walking path, it goes all the way to the dam.

Larry

Old 05-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Yeah when i first opened the page the graph didnt load at first and i saw 10,000 and was thinking it was 1000 so i was pretty excited only to have the graph pop up and realize there was another 0 on that number, looks like it jumped up another 4 ft. We'll make another trip later on in the summer but i was really looking forward to the green on this trip. Oh well, there is always next time.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Larry,

When I floated the Utah Green sometime in the 90's there was a requirement to carry a third oar. In fact they checked you at the Dam launch site. In fact when I ordered my Pontoon boat I ordered a third oar thinking it was required at other rivers also.

I couldn't find much about the third oar except for the following from a BLM PDF regarding floating the river. Not sure of the date.

Frank

"River Requirements:

Personal flotation devices (PFD) must be worn
properly at all times while floating the river. Inflatable
PFDs are not allowed.
A spare oar or paddle compatible to the craft
being used.
A bailing device.
Watercraft 16 feet or larger require a throw rope.
Canoes must have floatation devices equivalent to
one-third inside volume.
Motorized craft are not allowed on the river.
Flotation tubes are NOT recommended on any section
of the river.
Camping requires self-contained toilet."