The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing Flaming Gorge Late May

Frank: Thanks, that is the first I had heard of thr third oar requirement on the Green, but I always have a spare oar on the drift boat anyway. I guess I will need to order a spare oar from NFO when the new Rampage gets here.

Larry

Old 05-04-2011, 05:40 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

I fished the A section from shore about ten years ago at a flow of 11,000 CFS. The walking path was about 50% underwater, but that posed no problems, just wade along it in a foot or two of water.

The fishing was EXCELLENT. Apparently the high flows just push the fish tight against the banks. Short line nymphing a size 18 anything under a size 16 anything caught fish.

The high flows kept a lot of angers off the river. No crowds at all.

Chris
Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnskiguy View Post
I fished the A section from shore about ten years ago at a flow of 11,000 CFS. The walking path was about 50% underwater, but that posed no problems, just wade along it in a foot or two of water.

The fishing was EXCELLENT. Apparently the high flows just push the fish tight against the banks. Short line nymphing a size 18 anything under a size 16 anything caught fish.

The high flows kept a lot of angers off the river. No crowds at all.

Chris
Chris: Thanks for the insight, I was thinking the walking path would be totally submerged and maybe that is why no crowds, everyone else is thinking the same thing. Might be time to hit the Green!

Larry

Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ask and Ye shall receive!
Water release at Flaming Gorge Reservoir an amazing sight - ksl.com

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Administrator

John: That was great, normally in that area near the dam the water is pretty calm and easy to maneuver a drift boat in, not now!
I bet a drift boat ride down the "A" section would be a thrill not to be forgotten any time soon.

Larry

Old 05-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Kinda thinking it might be a fun float in a raft right now too!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-05-2011, 09:56 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Chris: Thanks for the insight, I was thinking the walking path would be totally submerged and maybe that is why no crowds, everyone else is thinking the same thing. Might be time to hit the Green!

Larry

Adding to my prior post, everywhere the walking path went underwater was in totally dead still places. you could trip, fall and go nowhere. It was very safe in my estimation, but then I spent 28 years underwater and respect water a ton.

Stay close to the path and use your head, you'll be fine.

Chris
Old 05-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Kinda thinking it might be a fun float in a raft right now too!
John: Your probably right, that would be the ticket, rent one of those big pontoon style boats with a metal frame from Trout Creek Flies and go for it! I'm thinking those pontoons must be at least two foot in diameter, lots of floatation. Probably would be a blast of a ride down through those rapids.

Larry