The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Fishing Flaming Gorge Late May

DOK and I are thinking of coming up for a few days fishing.
Will the runoff likely be raging? How are the crowds around Memorial Day?
Thanks in advance
Yat

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 05-05-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:39 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fishing Flaming Gorge Late May

If your fishing the reservior, you don't have to worry about runnoft (Oh Brother, Where Art Thou) or crowds. If you're fishing the Green it all depends on the weather. Even there runnoff is not a problem.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Not the rez. Below the dam.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Runoff is not a problem, but the water coming up twice daily for peak power production could be, and you don't want to get stuck on the other side of the river looking for a ride back across.
As far as the masses of people, once the warmer weather starts you always compete with the crowds. One way to beat the crowds is to fish below Little Hole as 99% head upstream instead. If at all possible I would consider mid-April instead, the hatches can be heavy and the crowds are much smaller.

Are you planning to wade fish or float?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 04-23-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:53 PM

Thanx Fysh
This is in the early planning stage. DOK's wife is going to Jersey for a wedding so he gets to come out and play, so the dates are kinda set with the max # of days being May 26 - June 1.
Not sure on wade or float yet. It's still up in the air as to our route to FG and whether there will be other delays along the way to explore other water.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yat: Last year we floated the Green River below Flaming Gorge the weekend of May 21-23. The water was still at the winter flow of 850 CFS and we had a great time. The forecast was for around 50 degrees and of course it snowed on us. We went over there about the same time the previous year and the same thing happened, so bring cold wx gear regardless of what the forecast says. We had some really great fishing catching mostly 14-18" cutbows, cutthroats and rainbows with a few browns thrown in. The folks at Trout Creek Flies is where I get my info on current conditions and usually buy a few flies. Green River Fly fishing Flaming Gorge, Utah, Utah flyfishing Guides, Utah Fly fishing Guides, Trout Creek Flies - Your Complete Green River Guide Service - Rocky Mountain Fly Fishing, Emmett Heath, Fishing I noticed last year they weren't keeping the web site up to date like they did when Denny was alive, so you might call them later in the spring to see what is up.
The week following our trip they were planning on raising the water level to 3,000 CFS to flush it out. On our trip there was lots of floating algae in the water and we lost a number of fish due to it. You would be fighting a fish and feel a big chunk of algae hit the line, the fish would do a head shake and be gone. The big issue with your timing is when they will open the flood gates. The plan last year was to raise the water to 3,000 CFS for the flush and then bring it back down to the 2,000 CFS summer level, but instead, due to the heavy mositure in the mountains, the water level peaked at 6,600 cfs and didn't return to the 2,000 CFS level for a couple weeks. As you know we again are having a great water year so the question you will need to ask Trout Creek Flies is when do they expect to raise the water for the flush. When we hired a guide later in the summer to show us Red Creek Rapids on the B section, he told me the fishing was still good even at the high flows, but I'm guessing that the walking path from the dam to Little Hole was under water. Here is the trip report from last year: WY Fly Fishing

Larry

Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 AM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

It is over memorial day weekend the thursday prior to the tuesday past both of those days probaly travel days..
Is the Green like the Juan in its relase increase's The Juan usually waits untill after the holliday weekend to jack with the flows..
I saw a little dam/diversion that looks promising as well in wyo.dont want to say the name here.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Dok, Yat,
I hate to tell you guys this but I wouldn't go on Memorial Day Weekend, the river is going to be very busy with fishermen, hikers, mtn bikers going up and down the trails and a floatilla of rafts and drift boats. This is the beginning of the "Bikini Hatch"!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 01-24-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:52 AM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Dok, Yat,
I hate to tell you guys this but I wouldn't go on Memorial Day Weekend, the river is going to be very busy with fisherman, hikers, mtn bikers going up and down the trails and a floatilla of rafts and drift boats. This is the beginning of the "Bikini Hatch"!!
This is the kind of information I was looking for when I suggested to Yat we put a thread up.Thanks, mind if I send you a PM on an alternate location?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Sure, but I don't know if I'll have any good info for you guys. When it comes to holiday weekends we pretty much stay home except for the 4th of July.

This entire region (Uinta Mts and Flaming Gorge) is a hotspot during the holiday weekends, actually it's a busy area anyway during the Summer & Fall.
Since you guys like to hike in to remote lakes and streams, that could be another option for you in the Uinta's, it would get you away from most of the other folks.

Last edited by fysh; 01-25-2011 at 07:14 AM.