The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 AM

BigSky is on a distinguished road
Default How do you decided when to switch...

...line size, rod, etc. I was fishing the Missouri river a couple of weeks ago. I had been using a 9 foot, 5 wt rod and 5 wt floating line and had been casting a variety of dries and nymphs all day in sizes of probably 18 to 20. I finally switched to try a size 14 +/- wooly bugger. According to most charts, this fly should cast fine with my setup; but, for some reason, I couldn't cast it worth a hoot. It was like shooting a game of pool with a spaghetti noodle. I would think the sz 14 wooly bugger would cast fine with either a 4 wt or a 6 wt also. I guess I don't recall having this problem in the past and I guess I can't confirm that I've ever fished this particular rod with this particular fly setup before.

So, I have two questions. Do any of you have specific sizes at which you change setups? Does anybody have any suggestions as to why I had problems here with the exception of my perpetual cranial rectal insertion.

Thanks,
Thomas
Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How do you decided when to switch...

Sky,

I can't say that I've had your exact problem. I fished many years using size two & four featherwing streamers and a 36" lead head on a 5wt. PM 10 9' 5wt. Orvis rod. When you move up the scale in size and weight of the fly you also need to make adjustments to your casting. The stroke and speed are in need of change in order to tighten the loop for starters. Increased line speed should and will compensate for additional weight up to a certain point.

Here I seldom use anything under a seven wt. and find it more relaxing to slow the cast and open the loop when decreasing the amount of weight I am casting. In short it is a matter of experience and learning how to handle different situations with the same outfit. We can't burden ourselves by carrying extra rods along in case we run into different conditions along the way in a days fishing. It sounds like you need to adapt and overcome rather than expand your tackle collection at this point.

Regards,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi BigSky,

Here are a few thoughts I had.

1. What weight tippet were you using. You may have been using too light of a tippet. A 5X tippet should have worked with your 14 bugger.

2. How long of a leader were you using? You may have had a too long leader for the more wind resistant fly.

3. You bugger may have been weighted in conjunction with too long of a leader.

4. You may have been casting into a wind with a more wind resistant fly.

Frank
Old 05-26-2009, 12:11 PM

BigSky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Sky,
It sounds like you need to adapt and overcome…
Ard
Ard, I believe you are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Sky,
…rather than expand your tackle collection at this point.
Ard
Ard, too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi BigSky,

Here are a few thoughts I had.

1. What weight tippet were you using. You may have been using too light of a tippet. A 5X tippet should have worked with your 14 bugger.

2. How long of a leader were you using? You may have had a too long leader for the more wind resistant fly.

3. You bugger may have been weighted in conjunction with too long of a leader.

4. You may have been casting into a wind with a more wind resistant fly.

Frank
Frank,
In looking at your response/suggestions I believe you are correct in that I probably faced a combination of 2, 3 & 4.

Thanks for the input guys.

Thomas