The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 11:08 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Just My Luck

So I'm fishing this afternoon, On the most picturesque section of steam. I was thinking to myself how lucky I was to live so close to such a beautiful piece of water. Everything was snow covered, sun was at just the right angle to shine through the trees and reflect off the pool I was fishing, absolutely perfect. Then, my spool falls out of my reel, bounces off a rock, and into the drink. I automatically start pulling the line, thinking "that's what i get for not double checking." Knowing its going to be a mess, i try and organize the line so it doesn't tangle too much. When i get to the backing i start thinking about the knot way at the end, how its been there for a while, and how bad it would be if somehow it failed and I lost my spool. So, I get the idea to climb down and position myself to try and yank the line quick enough to make the spool come off the bottom and net it. Little did I know that i had stepped on a section of my evenly spaced out line and it froze to the bottom of my boot causing quite a tangle. Balancing between two rocks, birds nest on boot, yanking like hell, backing flying everywhere, I get the spool up just enough to make a swoop with the net, and "land it." Thinking back, I might of even said "yes" and smiled happily with my clean landing. Then I look down river with that stupid smile of my face and hear the click of a shutter. Yup, sitting right down river was a photographer, tripod and all.......

I didn't see the picture, in fact, the only thing the photographer gave was a thumbs up, but i know exactly what it looks like- Birds nests of line and backing draped across the rocks and the better part of my left side, the net in hand, spool in net, still dripping crisp cold river water, and me with some dumb smile....

I know for a fact that this one going to come back to haunt me because its Just My Luck.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Just My Luck

We have all had similar moments, all to often caught on camera, I just never speak about them because I might be able to deny it and hope the photographic evidence isnt too incriminating.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 AM

vanish will become famous soon enough

You've got me giggling!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 AM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

I would pay good money for a copy of that photo, only as a reminder that things like this happen to other folks, too.

the764
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I'm just sitting here laughing because it Happened to you & not me. It feels good to know that that kind of thing happens to someone else & not always me. I've been there Bro...

Neil
Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Now that was a funny story, thanks for sharing, but realize like the others have stated, we have all had something like that happen to us.

Larry

Old 01-24-2011, 09:48 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

Haha! That is the reason I always tie the line to the spool solidly... I hope it's a fish that'll test it, but I know deep down that more often than not it'll be exactly that situation! You're not alone, but that photo would be priceless!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

funny story...reminds me once two fly boxes fell out of my pocket....got out of the water...ran on the bank and could net them downstream...I know someone who had a good laugh watching me
Old 01-24-2011, 10:41 AM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Great story!..lol
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Good one. Tehehe