The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 01:04 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default Low, clear water = Great fishing!

I fished a local trout stream today from 3:30 until dark.
First time wet wading in a trout stream for me. It's the only way to fish, I'll do it every time until the water gets too cold.
I caught 24 trout and 18 chubs with my 1wt.
This is where the 1wt really shines. Low clear water needs a light line and a light rod to toss the tiny drys.
The state stocked this stream three weeks ago for the last time until fall. But TU must have put some trout in a couple days ago...... there were trout all over the place!
When I started, I was tossing a BH nymph and after the second cast a rainbow jumped for a bug only ten feet from me. I quickly changed to a tan caddis and caught 5 trout on the next 6 casts.
A mild hatch all afternoon. It looked like a size 16 tan caddis with a long tail.
First time trout fishing for me in over two weeks. I was busy with the cats and smallies.
I just tied some killer drys that I'll use tomorrow.
This was truly a wonderful day for me. I only saw one other fishing guy with a spin rod and he said he didn't catch anything.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4520.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4524.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4526.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4529.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4534.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4536.jpg

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Low, clear water = Great fishing!

FlyRichardFly: Looks like you had a really fantastic afternoon of fishing, congrats! You are certainly getting some good use out of the new 1 wt.

Larry
Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FlyRichardFly,

I like the way you handled the fish. No need to pick them up to get a good picture. Wonderful looking water. Thanks for sharing.

It is just as easy to post the picture as it is to post a link. Instead of copy/past the link, copy/past the photo into the post.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, congrats on your day, sounds like your 1 weight got a work out. You must've had a blast on that light rod.

This time of year there can be a lot of different hatches of caddis and mayflies on the water. If the critters you saw were tannish, upright wings and long tails they were mayflies- caddis generally have "down wings" and don't have tails.

If you were fishing in the East, they might have been "Gray Foxes" (these are now considered to be the same genus and species as March Browns, but they are lighter and smaller tannish body and tend to emerge a few weeks later in the season) Gray Foxes

or Sulphers (often pale yellowish bodies) Mayfly Species Ephemerella dorothea (Sulphur) Hatch

These are 2 of the major mayfly hatches on a lot of streams in the East this time of year.

If it didn't have tails, and was a caddis, some that are about a size 16 that should be zooming around on streams in the east now are
Apple Caddis and Grannoms - Caddisfly Family Brachycentridae (Apple Caddis and Grannoms) Hatch

or one of many "Green Sedges" (the adults often have tannish wings) with free living larvae found in riffles (nymphing with a Green Weenie or Green Rockworm can be very productive beween hatches this time of year). Pictures of the adults are on page 2:
Caddisfly Genus Rhyacophila (Green Sedges) Hatch

Matching the approximate size- or a size smaller and shade (light, medium dark, rather than exact color) often does the trick if you don't have a specific imitation. But if you can start to zero in on some of the hatches on the streams you fish, perhaps with the help of a hatch chart for your area, or advice from a local fly shop about your streams hatches, and take advantage of the info on a site like troutnut with a ton of pics and info on behavior and tips for fishing different hatches you'll have some options when the fish get picky, can target different areas to fish prior to the hatch (most mays and caddis have a distinct preference for a specific habitat- riffles, slow water etc depending on the species) and you'll have a better sense of time of day to be out there to catch things when specific hatches bust loose (hopefully). You can never know enough to guarantee fish, but every little bit helps and the more you know about the whole circle of life thang that takes place on your local streams, the more amazed you'll be at the awesome complexity and finely tuned balance that momma nature has come up with. But, I tend to be a little nerdy, so don't let your 'research' interfere with your time on the stream

mark
Old 05-28-2009, 11:14 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
the more you know about the whole circle of life thang that takes place on your local streams, the more amazed you'll be at the awesome complexity and finely tuned balance that momma nature has come up with. But, I tend to be a little nerdy, so don't let your 'research' interfere with your time on the stream

mark
Thanks Mark. It is truly remarkable about the cycle of life on a stream, simply amazing. And nothing wrong with research knowledge..... the more you know, the better the fishing becomes.
They are Mayflies. I checked them out today very closely.
I did great with a size 16 with a long tan tail, floating tan dubbing, and Elk Hair wrapped tightly for the wings. Plenty of floatant of course!

Frank,
I tried to copy and paste, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Where do I copy from? And how do I paste on this forum?
I use photobucket, but the photos don't seem to come through on this forum.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FlyRichardFly,

Here is how to post a picture from Photobucket using IE.

1. Open the photo in Photobucket so you are viewing the photo.

2. Place your cursor on the photo and right click the mouse.

3. A drop menu will open. Select "Copy" in the menu.

4. Go to your new post in NAFFF.

5. Place the cursor on the location you want the photo to appear.

6. Right click the mouse and select "Paste" from the menu.

Your photo should appear at the cursor location. If it doesn't you may have the wrong options on your browser.

Frank