The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 07:18 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Strange bug

I was on my way home from work and I had to stop at a local establishment for some gas. On the gas pump was a small mayfly. It had white eyes, the wings were erect like a sail, twin/split tail. the body was almost clear, the thorax was cream or a real light brown. It had a single set of wings.

Sorry, no pix. Tried to take one with my camera, but that did not turn out well.

Anybody have an idea what this might be? PMD?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange bug

Hmmm.

Clear wings would make it a "spinner"-- the final stage of the adult mayfly. This is the stage you often see lying on the water with spent wings. With two tails, some possibilities would be:

Light Cahill Spinner (clear wings, pale creamy yellowish body, 2 tails, about a size 14)
Male Stenacron interpunctatum (Light Cahill) Mayfly Spinner Pictures

Gray Fox Spinner (clear wings with black specks, pale tannish to pale olivey body 2 tails about a size 12-14)
Google Image Result for http://www.troutnut.com/im_regspec/picture_1897_small.jpg

If it was smaller, another possibility are Sulphers, but these, like PMDs have 3 tails with pale yellow bodies, pale gray wings (in the duns) or clear wings in the spinners, about size 16-18. This pic is a male dun (with orange eyes). A female spinner would have green eyes and clear wings and the same sort of creamy yellow body, though the body color can vary a bit from stream to stream.
Male Ephemerella dorothea (Sulphur) Mayfly Dun Pictures

All of these should be popping out on streams in the East about now. Any of these look close to the one you saw?

mark
Old 05-30-2009, 09:15 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

It looked alot like the light Cahill, but the eyes were dead white. The LC looks to have a smaller set of subwings while this one did not. It was probably a #14 or #16. Really pale in color.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:21 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

pics, esp on the web, aren't always color-true. but i suspect u saw 1 of these...

Click the image to open in full size.

this is a type of pale EVENING dun, the little yellow quill (leucrocuta hebe for those who must know the latin). under the generally fluorescent lights at a gas station, insect colors r also often misleading.

they r pretty common n the east and midwest, esp the upper midwest. and they r usually at their peak from mid-may thru mid-june. they run from size 16-20, but r most common n size 16. tying them n sizes 14 and 16 seems to work best n my experience. and tie them as spinners only. fish this hatch w/pheas tail nymphs or the spinner dry fly. they emerge and fly off quite quickly, and usually trout won't bother trying to feed on the emergence phase of the hatch.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 05-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Mayflies will all have two sets of wings, with the hind wings much less prominent, and especially difficult to see on spinners.

On many mayflies, in the duns and spinners, the males have large, bulging eyes, often in bright colors like orange (many Blue Wing Olives, Sulphurs, and Hendricksons), or bright or dark blue (Cahills, Gray Fox, March Brown).

Females generally have much smaller eyes, often a very pale greenish-creamy color, so what you probably saw was a female spinner, maybe a female Cahill, or perhaps the PED that Fly Guy posted.

mark
Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 AM

I would have to agree, peregrines. The eyes were very prominent.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:34 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Did it look like this:

Or this:

These are both from May 23rd on a Shenandoah Nat'l Park stream. I don't know exactly what they are but my guesses are Light Cahill and Golden Drake. The fly in the second pic was at least a 12 and maybe a 10. The fly in the first pic was smaller.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:28 AM

The first one looks almost exactly like it. The eyes were white.