The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 12:00 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default Muddy Water Trout

Lots of rain up here in PA. I know that we need the rain, but this is ridiculous!
I went to my fav trout stream and in heavy rain, put my chest waders on in my car. As soon as I stepped outside, I put my hooded rain jacket on.
I was dry and happy! But as soon as I walked to the creek, I saw it was high and fast and looked like coffee.
I'm a fishin' guy, so nothing will stop me except a hurricane! I waded out and started with a BH black woolybugger flipped into the cleaner water near the sides. Only 2" of visibility so after a half hour, I though I would hang it up.
Then, in the muddiest part of the creek a brown jumped for a tiny mayfly only ten feet from me. I flipped my bugger to him and held the rod high to keep the fly on top....... and he smacked the fly like he just smacked the bug!
This changed everything for me. I switched to a 16 dark nymph and I was catchin' in the muddy water. I landed six trout, all browns, and about a dozen small chubs. Another wonderful day for me!!
Trout must have excellent vision. I also caught my share of chubs in the brown water, they must have super vision also.
Ya just never know! So when in doubt, just go fishing anyway!
I was told that fish don't bite when it rains because they don't like to get wet!!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4616.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/IMGP4619.jpg

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 06-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Muddy Water Trout

You overcame the crappy creek conditions and managed to land some fish. Sounds like you had a fun time!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Muddy Water Trout

FlyRichardFly: Welcome to the club! It has been a very wet spring here in WY. Congrats on the fishing despite the high water conditions. I went fishing on Saturday morning, but got skunked and eventually run off the lake with high winds. The forecast for here in town was 25-35 mph with occasional gusts to 45.