The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default A quick and fun trip to the river 6-13

Today I headed out with a friend today for a quick trip to feed the addiction. We got to the water at around 0700 and got geared up. The day was pretty calm and cool with a nice cloud cover. We made our way down to the water and started to fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

It did not take long before the first fish was landed; it was a nice average brown that is typical on this river. Today the browns were keying in on different nymphs. We were having success with Pheasant Tails, Hares Ears, and RS2s. There was not much in the way of surface activity in this area. We fished this hole for a few hours catching and releasing some good looking fish. After a while we decided to check out a few other spots so we headed down river.

The next place we fished had a nice riffle with a pretty good sized slack water area on the opposite shore. The fish in this run were significantly smaller than the average size fish on this river. They too were keying in on the same flies that had worked earlier. We stayed and fished for a bit and then we decided to check out another spot before we took off for the day.

We got to the hole we wanted to fish but it was taken. So we decided to check another spot, when we got there was nobody else so we rigged up and began to fish. This spot was a little bit of a challenge for two people to fish so we took turns. We were fishing it when we heard the first sound of thunder. So we decided to get out and also to check what time it was. My friend had somewhere he had to be so we needed to leave the river by 1330. It was close to that time so we decided to call it a day.

I had an absolute blast today. Even though it was a short trip today on this river we had a lot of fun and caught some nice fish.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:48 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A quick and fun trip to the river 6-13

Yeah, today I worked.
I hate you.
Seriously, you have to keep that comming. I can live vicariously through you and your "average" browns! Nice pics and glad SOMEONE had a great day on the water.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:54 PM

PS- here is our "average" size brown
Old 06-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great day,beautiful fish,nice photos,lucky you Sasha
http://i85.www.servimg.com/u/f85/12/...9/bqh3vp11.jpg
Beginner's smile
http://i85.www.servimg.com/u/f85/12/...9/0e227610.jpg
Old hand's pride
Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

You've got a nice spot there Sasha, especially for day trips. Good looking Browns too.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:46 AM

dryflywaters will become famous soon enough

Great shots of the browns. I love the coloration and the spots on large browns. Nice post.
http://dryflywaters.com/
Old 06-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Thanks!!!

I wasn't going to go fishing this weekend at all. But my wife told me late Friday that I should go.

@twospots: Don't worry about the average size thing. The river I was on has monsters in it. The average size brown in that place is 17"-19". Yes it is fun but it is a known river so it does get crowded.

Most of my fly fishing is done on waters where the "monsters" are 13". I like those types of places better because nobody is there unlike the blue ribbon places. That fish you posted is awesome, that is more of the size of the guys I go after with my UL gear.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Thanks!!!

I wasn't going to go fishing this weekend at all. But my wife told me late Friday that I should go.

@twospots: Don't worry about the average size thing. The river I was on has monsters in it. The average size brown in that place is 17"-19". Yes it is fun but it is a known river so it does get crowded.

Most of my fly fishing is done on waters where the "monsters" are 13". I like those types of places better because nobody is there unlike the blue ribbon places. That fish you posted is awesome, that is more of the size of the guys I go after with my UL gear.
Yeah, I liked that creek you showed pics of in the other post. Those are the best places to go.
Unfortunately the only real trout stream around here was channelized in the 1800's so it has little structure, not many big turns and very few places that are more shallow than crotch level. TU has done work on it and there are some decent runs and a little more structure now, but still nothing like a good old creek. I like it none the less, especially since there is an elk farm right next to the spot I like to fish the most. Makes me feel like I'm fishing in the mountains when you hear them even if they are fenced in.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
I think just like you do. Solitude in a beautiful clear stream is the best fishing IMHO!
And I must say that after using UL gear for a while, I'll never go back to the heavy, thick line carp tackle again!
I get a thrill when catching a 10" wild trout on a 1wt rod. Also I cast all the time and a UL rod with thin line makes it so much better.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 06-15-2009, 06:02 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

looks like a great day to me!

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.