The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Cost of Traveling To..........

The Cost of Traveling To.......... This forum is intended to build a data base of Best Deals, Tricks of Travel, Trip Prep, Where to Stay and Why, Plan B, Best Eateries and Ones to Avoid, Righteous Fly Shops, etc

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2016, 04:01 PM

yikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant future
Default Cosmopolitan vacation with fishing

My wife and I usually take about one big vacation per year. We seem to alternate between "culture" type vacations (cities, museums, architecture) and "nature" type vacations (houseboating, camping or resort).
2018 may be a "culture" vacation, but I've still got the fishing itch, especially freshwater/trout. My wife has no interest in fishing.
Can you recommend a city/culture vacation that would have stream fishing really close nearby, perhaps in the city itself, for an afternoon of guided fishing?
It can be stateside, or international.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:10 PM

flyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cosmopolitan vacation with fishing

London - fly fishing for trout in reservoirs or pike on the river Thames or if you want a whole day fishing trout south and west of London within about 90-120 mins.
mcnerney and yikes like this.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:21 PM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

Munich...

Fly Fishing Germany - Guided trips based in Munich

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-21-2016, 07:58 PM

ryc72 is on a distinguished road

Depending on how far you are willing to travel from the city, what about New York? lots of places in pa, nj, ct, upstate ny, Long Island and nj shore if you want salt, that's all within 1.5 to 3 hours from Manhattan. My wife and daughters went to the nutcracker ballet today while I was daydreaming of my day trip to central pa on Monday.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:45 AM

runningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud of

You can go to downunder to Australia and New Zealand or Argentina or going to Slovenia and Ireland.
yikes likes this.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:56 AM

el jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud of

I'm not sure this would qualify as culture from the city angle, but how about Durango, CO? Using that as your base, within a few hours drive you have Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, and Bandelier, all world-renowned Indian ruins and cliff dwellings. Not far from Bandelier one also has Los Alamos, which ushered in the atomic age.

From a fishing angle, in or close to Durango is the Animas and San Juan, and many small streams within the area. Time of year is important based on run-off expectations.

Though there are many towns to use as your base in that area, Durango has the best restaurants, bars, attractions, and scenery, and offers a piece of the old West in its downtown hotels, all within walking distance of the aforementioned options. There is also the narrow-gauge railroad that runs between Durango and Silverton, for a spectacular day.
trout trekker, wf0 and yikes like this.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:36 PM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light

How about Vancouver, B.C. ? I've read there's good fishing real close to town.
wf0 and yikes like this.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:14 PM

ravenbc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
How about Vancouver, B.C. ? I've read there's good fishing real close to town.
Grew up in Vancouver, you would have lots of options for fishing as well it you spent 1 or 2 days visiting Victoria and the Island. PM me if you want more info.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
yikes and karstopo like this.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:52 PM

irmojoe is on a distinguished road

Charleston SC. Saltwater fly fishing for redfish etc. look up lowcountry fly fishing. Go to shop/guides in the area. Plenty of "culture " as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ejsell, flyminded and karstopo like this.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:23 PM

ejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud of

Nemacolin Resort in Pennsylvania, in the middle of nowhere but the resort offers guided fly trips, five star restaurant, cigar and wine tastings, multimillion dollar art and car collection to tour and purchase from. Also 2 Frank Lloyd Wright homes are near the property including Fallingwater. The resort also has a world class spa, shooting lodge, a jeep 4x4 course and a private zoo. My wife's old boss held a Christmas party there a few years ago. Love to go back but I'd prefer to go for free again☺

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
wf0 likes this.