New strike indicator - SNAPZ Strike Indicators

flyguyusa

Reaction score
I ran into these while googling "strike indicators", bought a package of both sizes. I received them a couple of days ago and have to say they are the best indicators I have ever used. I'm so tired of losing indicators or having to fiddle with them to adjust on the leader...these just work great...my two cents anyway.

plland

Reaction score
Could you comment on what it is about these strike indicators that makes them so great or newsworthy? Details are always appreciated.

flyguyusa

Reaction score
I ordered the 1/2" and the 5/8". so far I have used the larger one's. They are easy to attach to the line, you just fold them together on your leader. To adjust you don't have to take them off, just slide anywhere you want on your leader. They were pretty visible and floated well also.

Lambster

Reaction score
Lambster likes the the tooth pick type that holds it on the leader..... lightning strikes.....is what they call the ones I use...... easy to adjust and last along time............. comes in yellow,Flor-Orange.... and white.... I've fished for 30yrs. and these are the best!

gvillevol

Reaction score
I have been sold on the "Thingamabobber" since it came out. I nymph 95% of the time I fish and have used yarn, putty, stickers, etc., and nothing has even come close to them. They are lightweight, filled with air (designed after the balloon trend), easy to adjust, and float better than any other indicator I've used. They come in two sizes and numerous colors. The greatest thing about them to me is their ease to cast. They're so lightweight it feels like you don't even have anything on. That also makes them super sensitive.

I have also heard some guys say they like "Fish Pimp" strike indicators. They look pretty good although I haven't tried them. I will have to check out the SNAPZ sometime, but it will take a great indicator for me to even think about changing from the "Thingamabobber".

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

Here is the "Thingamabobber" that gvillevol is talking about. They are available in 1/2" 3/4" and 1".

Gvillevol, if you try the SnapZ let us know how they work.

Frank

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
. . . They come in two sizes and numerous colors. . . .
Actually, gvillevol, like Frank said they come in three sizes - 1", 3/4" & 1/2". The super-sensitivity you mention is a great advantage to me. I had great luck using both the large 1" and medium 3/4" when fly-fishing those large wary Rainbows on the San Juan/NM recently. I was able to hook probably 2-3 times as many with the Thingamabobber than previously with the foam-type indicators that are so popular up there. I only wish you could buy them in just one color. I found the best color to use on the San Juan was the white ones, as they blended in well with the foam bubbles on those seams in the river between two different currents, where I had good results nymphing during mid-day when the trout leave the flats for deeper water.

Joni

Reaction score
White is the best everywhere, I have found. We have a store here that sells them individually which is great for that, plus I think it ends up cheaper then a bag if I remember right.

Joni

Reaction score
You can try. It is "FISH TECH" in Salt Lake City. Ut and Byron is the man to ask. I can look up a Phone Number if you want.

gvillevol

Reaction score
Hey Frank. I would be glad to let you know if I try them. Maybe I'll give em a shot when I am in the Yellowstone area in a couple of weeks. Like I said....I would be hard pressed to change from the Thingamabobber right now.

Sorry about misinforming you and others Fly2Fish. My local shop had them on order before they were on the market and I guess he only got them in two sizes 1/2 and 3/4. I couldn't see (no pun intended) the need for a 1" unless eyesight is an issue. I have chunked some heavy rigs with tungsten bead heads, droppers and weights and they still stay afloat. Even if you are on a large river you shouldn't have a nymph rig out so far that seeing the indicator is an issue....even from a drift boat. Just my opinion though. Also....white no matter what indicator you use is going to be the most productive. The "Day Glow" colors may be easier for us to see at times but to native fish it just doesn't look right and to the good old stocked fish it looks like hatchery food and you wind up sucker hooking them when they hit your indicator.