The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Drift Boat Discussion

Like Tree22Likes
  • 4 Post By wjl
  • 3 Post By trout trekker
  • 2 Post By parsond
  • 5 Post By mcnerney
  • 2 Post By wjl
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter
  • 1 Post By itchmesir
  • 3 Post By parsond
  • 1 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2015, 12:13 PM

parsond is on a distinguished road
Default Drift boat value

Hey guys,

What would a fair price be for a 16' 1997 HP Hyde Drift boat? It is beat up pretty bad by heavy use (I am a seasonal guide) but is totally serviceable. Trailer, Sawyer oars, and a stained but sound cover included?

I need to sell her before I can pick up a new boat.

Just looking for a basic idea. I looked on line and saw some for about $6000...but they were a few years newer and less dinged up. That seems like a lot of cash to me.

Dan

-Paul Schullery
Old 05-20-2015, 12:24 PM

wjl will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Drift boat value

I don't know if you looked here but this is an example of some on KSL

Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...boats&ad_cid=1
Old 05-20-2015, 02:24 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

The listings WJL posted seem to be about right, maybe a bit low for here.

How beat is beat?
Bottom and chine damage?
Interior shape?

The few used Hyde HP's around here, typically ten years old or a little less, asking mid 5’s to low 6, but they wouldn’t qualify as beat and that might include a transom mount and a ten horse smoker, oars anchor, spare oar, galvanized trailer and a cover. ( ready to float rig )
10 year old beater, 3,500 tops.

18 years old and my definition of beat, as in needs a good amount of bottom / chine work, new seats, hinges, etc.. $1,800 to $2,500.

My two cents.
Dave
mcnerney, cpiercem and parsond like this.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:19 PM

It is BEAT UP! I mean its solid still... but it has been used hard (by me) for almost 20 years, averaging 90 floats a year. I have patched up the bad dings on the bottom and chines over and over, welded and re-welded the fenders back on the trailer, gone thru 5 seats, 3 sets of oars, 4 sets of tires. The inside needs to be painted.

It has had gallon and gallons of fish slime in it, a score of dead deer and antelope as well as 2 moose and maybe 1000 dead ducks and geese. I got married in it (I cleaned it up first). Makes me think...

I love my boat. Maybe Ill just put money into fixing her up. I just like the look of some of the new clackas... especially the rod storage. But with some TLC I bet I could get her looking pretty good again.

I wonder what I could do about storing fully rigged extra rods in her? She has 2 tubes but I often wish I had 4 more (2 guys with a streamer, nymphing, and dry rods all ready to pick up and fish)

Dan
cpiercem and trout trekker like this.

-Paul Schullery
Old 05-20-2015, 04:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: What about checking to see what Hyde charges to do a full rehab on it, to bring it back looking like new?

Old 05-20-2015, 05:30 PM

wjl will become famous soon enough

Blue book values: who would of thought?

1997 Hyde Boats Prices & Values - NADAguides
mcnerney and cpiercem like this.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:17 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

Got any PICs? Not that a guy from Iowa would know what a drift boat is worth but it might help these guys give a closer guess.
cpiercem likes this.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 PM

itchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant future

Sounds like the boat is a part of you man... Married in it? Maybe you just need to give Xzibit a call to pimp your boat... How tough could it be to figure out how to add a few more rod holders to a boat...
parsond likes this.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:18 AM

I decided to just fix her up myself. I have an idea on how to add some more rod tubes and refinishing the bottom looks straight forward. Maybe we will part in a few more years. She will sell higher all spruced up anyway!

Dan
dean_mt, itchmesir and wjl like this.

-Paul Schullery
Old 05-21-2015, 10:45 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Attaboy Dan...drive her into the ground - er, float 'er into a watery grave many years from now!

My first vehicle was a 1979 Monte Carlo, which had been handed down a few times already through my family. All I know is that is was a sweet car when I was in high school, then my younger brother had it for a spell while I was in college, but it came back to me. I loved that car and took care of it, though did beat it up some too. The last year of it's life I did everything I could to keep it (almost) road legal. I find a lot of value in fixing stuff and keeping it useful.

If you could like your old boat anymore than you do now, you probably will after you know you extended it's usable life. And now you'll be with it when she turn's 20 years old! That's like flipping 200,000 on a truck. Here's to many many more years and great fishing out of your boat!
parsond likes this.