The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Drift Boat Discussion

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 03:00 PM

Kyo is on a distinguished road
Default Adipose

Didn't want to steal the other threads where drift boats were compared this week. Here's my amateur observations from yesterday. Basically I'm a Clackacraft fan but it was good to see some other ideas emerging.

Adipose has a booth next to ours at the Rocky Sports Show in Billings at Metra. Got the royal tour Friday. Asked the gentleman what would be my advantage to their boat vs my 15ft LP Clack.

Mentioned 3 interesting things concerning basic design. 1) Has a walk around feature like the Hyde. 2) Goal to create flexibility. 3) But maintain storage space. There's only one storage box under one of the seats. Ice chest under another. A lower side storage area under their open rod storage area on one side. Large and also narrow but lengthy storage under the other side. Open rod holders (no bends or tubes) caught my eye. Being a fairly tall person I liked this walk around option.

Not sure there's enough storage for my wife's STUFF but certainly worth a test run. He said they were trying to incorporate smaller LP drift boat designs with a skiff. So you can see the bow of the boat is tight up. Casting rail easily removable. He said you can mend easier although the clumsy me inside likes having that big bow to prevent premature swimming opportunities. Of course, thatís one of their wind resistant features, less rise up front creates more flat bottom, less draft, less wind issues.

Centerlines down each side do not compromise distance between as you get further back in the boat. Ie. Itís almost the same width throughout.
Price was a little spendy 11K something (don't quote me on that) but that might have come with the carbon fiber looking light weight oars. They ran 900.00. Might be worth it the older one gets.

Said they make them in Helena. Two guides or former guides own the company. So this isnít some boat builder diving into the market. Somebody has some boat building know how. And they know fly fishing and it shows.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:27 PM

j_parson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Adipose

I have had my eye on an Adipose for quite sometime. I really dig the rod storage solution they have and also really like the simplistic paint scheme on their boats. This type of boat seems to be damn near perfect for the tailwaters I generally fish. I do wonder how well they would do in Class II rapids. This is the main reason I have not pulled the trigger on getting one yet. I float enough "big" water and small rapids that I might feel constrained. The Green below flaming gorge comes to mind. Other than that I think they have a fantastic thing going.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:10 PM

huntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to behold

Dont own one, however, from a user stand point I think they are way great. I am older (read OLD) and dont move like I once did.

A guide who my wife and I fish with regularly uses one and I love it. The space is great, the "floor" of the boat is as walk friendly as anything you will find and there is no slope at the front which I like. The seats work well with a higher positions and adjustable also. Storage for our needs (and the guide we use) seems to be prefect also.

Actually, we are considering getting one. We fish several tail waters here in the southern mid west and this boat seems to fit our needs well.

I have to admit, I have not been on the oars in one and thats a big deal. I am not the rower I was 10 years ago and never will be again (my bad)..... but, all that considered I am going to put one in the water and see what happens.....

Just my opinion......
mcnerney and trout trekker like this.
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun/Pistol Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor
Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi KYO,

There was an on the water show in northern California on the American where both my wife and I had a chance to take one of their skiffs out for a short test drive with another fellow.

They are a feature rich boat, nice floor layout ( as you say, ala Hyde ) but with three in the skiff the boat felt extremely sluggish, like a saturated sponge to both of us. Please don’t misunderstand what I’m saying here, this is not a knock, its just our impressions after a half hour of playing around with the boat on a river we are both very familiar with. That flatter hull profile wasn’t allowing the water to flow under and help lift the boat the way our decidedly weight forward hulled boat does. I was busting a gut trying to get that skiff to go back up through a long glide that I’ve run in our boats, hundreds of times. My wife takes our boat up through that run with ease, but she too was straining just to gain some headway.

The boat I’m use to rowing is very sensitive oar commands, it’s lifts when you lean into the oars, much like other WF design drifters. We do a of lot rowing back up long runs for second and third drifts. So for us, the skiff and river we tried it on were a bad match. If it were on a stepper gradient river, where we were always drifting, always moving down stream, maybe ducking into a pocket from time to time, making minute shifts left and right and bucking an upriver wind all day, my impression is that the boat would have been more at home. I haven’t sworn of the idea of buying a skiff yet, but I’ve got a pretty firm grasp now why we don’t see any of them on our home rivers.

Take a look at their trailers, the one this skiff showed up on should be the model by which other trailers are measured.

Dave
mcnerney, billyspey and wjl like this.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave: Thanks for that review, I also have been eyeing the Adipose but have wondered about that flat bottom and being able to row back up-river to drift a long run a second or third time.
fredaevans likes this.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:03 AM

Kyo is on a distinguished road

Open discussion welcome Dave.
Appreciate your two cents.
Several folks from our club were salivating
over it and those new features.
It's certainly is a player but
probably not for everyone.
Would be fun to try out.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:40 AM

swampdonkey is just really niceswampdonkey is just really niceswampdonkey is just really niceswampdonkey is just really niceswampdonkey is just really nice

Most people around here run Clacks but starting to see more and more Adipose south of the Missouri. Personally I love mine. The open rod storage and walk around sealed the deal for us. Easy to get around, lots of storage, room for the dogs.

They also make a custom casting platform for the bow and the stern that is ideal for lake fishing and more importantly carp fishing. It's very stable and gives you a good deal of height to sight fish. We also added a trolling motor mount which opens a lot of options.

I'm a little nervous running some sections of local rivers with a skiff (such as the Yellowstone) but many guides run the whole thing in them so depends on your skills on the oars. If it makes me nervous then we take a raft. That aside it's my favorite boat to fish out of and really shines on the tail-waters.

A new build is pretty pricey but they normally have a few used boats at decent prices on the website. Often times guides trade in their boats every couple seasons for a new one. That worked for us.
mcnerney and huntschool like this.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:40 PM

jds108 is on a distinguished road

I'm also in Bozeman and have one. For anything short of rough water, I think it's the best boat available, assuming fiberglass is what you're looking for.

Mine has two pedestals and thus doesn't have as much storage as theoretically possible. I haven't done any overnight trips so it hasn't mattered yet.

Pricey, but I figure it's the first and last driftboat I'll buy. That's the plan at least.
mcnerney and huntschool like this.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:27 AM

creekbumin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Hi KYO,

There was an on the water show in northern California on the American where both my wife and I had a chance to take one of their skiffs out for a short test drive with another fellow.

They are a feature rich boat, nice floor layout ( as you say, ala Hyde ) but with three in the skiff the boat felt extremely sluggish, like a saturated sponge to both of us. Please donít misunderstand what Iím saying here, this is not a knock, its just our impressions after a half hour of playing around with the boat on a river we are both very familiar with. That flatter hull profile wasnít allowing the water to flow under and help lift the boat the way our decidedly weight forward hulled boat does. I was busting a gut trying to get that skiff to go back up through a long glide that Iíve run in our boats, hundreds of times. My wife takes our boat up through that run with ease, but she too was straining just to gain some headway.

The boat Iím use to rowing is very sensitive oar commands, itís lifts when you lean into the oars, much like other WF design drifters. We do a of lot rowing back up long runs for second and third drifts. So for us, the skiff and river we tried it on were a bad match. If it were on a stepper gradient river, where we were always drifting, always moving down stream, maybe ducking into a pocket from time to time, making minute shifts left and right and bucking an upriver wind all day, my impression is that the boat would have been more at home. I havenít sworn of the idea of buying a skiff yet, but Iíve got a pretty firm grasp now why we donít see any of them on our home rivers.

Take a look at their trailers, the one this skiff showed up on should be the model by which other trailers are measured.

Dave
I am in shopping mode now between raft or DB, if you want to see how a trailer is measured check out Rivertech Boats and look at their trailer
Old 02-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

One option on the Adipose boats that I really like is their optional vertical height seat adjustment, see their comments below:

Quote: "We prefer the Springfield Power Pedestal because it allows the angler to raise his seat to "standing" height."