The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Drift Boat Discussion

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By wjl
  • 4 Post By mt_flyfisher
  • 2 Post By wjl
  • 2 Post By mt_flyfisher
  • 3 Post By honyuk96
  • 1 Post By Kyo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2016, 12:17 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Thoughts on Hyde?

I have finally narrowed things down to a Clack - Mega Box or a Hyde XL LP.

It seems as though everyone is quick to say something negative about Hyde and just as quick to give the love to Clack. I have never had either, therefore I can not say a thing about either. Having said that, I would love to hear from others, about their experiences with the two manufacturers.

Thus far, Clack has not been very responsive (they responded to an initial email and that was the end of that). Hyde has been excellent to speak with. Is there a major difference in how the two handle to warrant such a difference of opinion on the two manufacturers? How about construction of the hulls (is it that drastic in terms of quality)?

Any info you all can provide is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on Hyde?

A 'low sided' drift boat is a MUST if you're getting in/out/Sr. Citizen (that would be me!) on board. Both are well constructed boats so which is 'better' is a coin flip, but how/who/where you will use same (type of water) bubbles up to the ultimate choice.

Other thing to consider is the actual weight of the boat ... then add expected gear/people weight. More of the above the harder it can be to row control (with three people, gear and boat you can easily be at 1,000 pounds). Another thing to factor in is the width of the boat bottom ... wider the more stability going in your favor.

New to rowing? Take the boat to a lake and get the feel of the oars!!!!

Just my thoughts and .02 cents worth.

fae
Old 03-27-2016, 02:12 PM

wjl has a spectacular aura aboutwjl has a spectacular aura aboutwjl has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Thoughts on Hyde?

If you want info on claka give Gary a call or email, ended up buying from him. Truthfull, honest, will not do you wrong.
Mountain Driftboat - ClackaCraft Drift Boat Drift Boats - Located in Victor, Idaho
fyshstykr and mcnerney like this.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:23 AM

mt_flyfisher is on a distinguished road

I had a Clacka 16 LP for several years, and now have a Hyde XL LP. Hands down, the Clacka was easier to row. However, the Hyde is a much bigger boat than was the Clacka - I do not know the Mega Box length (and I'm not so sure that Hyde's XL = extra long).

Also, I was able to get a number of options on the Hyde that I didn't have on the Clacka - walk through design, rear motor mount (could do on Clacka, but with an offset of the anchor mount), enclosed bow storage, anchor nest mounted on trailer frame, and a couple others' including a front rowers seat mounted on a Yeti cooler. So, I would have to say that the Hyde is more comfortable boat to ride in - but harder to row.

Also, being that the Hyde is so big, it comes with longer oars (9 1/2') versus 9' with my Clacka, and a 35# anchor, versus 30# on the Clacka - I don't think they tell you this at Hyde, until after you buy or see the boat. In fact, even with the heavier anchor, the Hyde is difficult to stop with the anchor in some situations. And, of course, the heavier anchor makes it more difficult to pull up. (I also have what Hyde calls the side mounted "easy pull anchor system" - it is kind of nice, but anything but "easy" to pull!

As far as build quality between the 2 brands, it would be a coin flip in my opinion - the are both river worthy, IMO, and both have some cheap features and some nice quality features, IMO. (Again, I'm comparing to the Clacka LP, not the Mega Box).

John
Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 AM

wjl has a spectacular aura aboutwjl has a spectacular aura aboutwjl has a spectacular aura about

Just went to the claka web site new boat, Eddy 360. Might get to see this edition at the fly fishing expo this weekend in SLC
ClackaCraft Drift Boats - Eddy 360

Mega box refers to storage under the seat and can be added to any model: ClackaCraft Drift Boats - 16' Low Profile Mega Box
fyshstykr and mcnerney like this.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:59 AM

mt_flyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thoughts on Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjl View Post
Just went to the claka web site new boat, Eddy 360. Might get to see this edition at the fly fishing expo this weekend in SLC
ClackaCraft Drift Boats - Eddy 360

Mega box refers to storage under the seat and can be added to any model: ClackaCraft Drift Boats - 16' Low Profile Mega Box
I see that now. Thanks. So this is just the standard 16 LP, which is what I or had, but with a bigger under the seats storage.

One other thing that I forgot to mention is that I have a walk through design on my Hyde, compared to the bench seat on the Clackacraft. Since I am often switching people between the front and back of the boat over the course of a day, this is a much nicer feature than having a bench seat, IMO.

If I were looking at getting another Clackacraft these days, I would take a serious look at the Clackacraft Fly Pod with the walk through design. In fact, I plan on also looking at the RO Deville Nomad Series model this spring for this same reason.

John
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:44 AM

honyuk96 is a name known to allhonyuk96 is a name known to allhonyuk96 is a name known to allhonyuk96 is a name known to allhonyuk96 is a name known to allhonyuk96 is a name known to all

I have a Hyde and like it very much. If I had the coin, I'd buy a Clacka, hands down. Clacka makes the best boat out there. Of course, this is just one guys opinion.
fyshstykr, mcnerney and wjl like this.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:48 AM

Kyo is on a distinguished road

Not the first time we've heard about Clack
being weak on the communications end.
Frankly I'm very surprised given the amount
of competition they have now especially with
Ro and Adipose. Hyde always a Contender (pun).

Big boat at Clack used to be the ClackaMax.
You might check that out on their webpage.

I have a Clack but it's smaller, older LP, easier to row.

Like Fred says, you could benefit from a test row opportunity.
Hyde or Clack might have folks you can connect with at
the next fly fishing expo near you. Or, if you can secure
a guaranteed test row, a trip to Idaho Falls would
net the two in one trip.
DryFlyGuy likes this.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:58 AM

rocksteady1 is on a distinguished road

We have a Hyde. We go down the lower sac here in Northern California a lot. Almost every guide boat I see is also a Hyde. I've never been in a Clacka but it's pretty telling as to what is popular at least here.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:26 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread going on here but I'll toss one more thing into the mix: Choice of oars! Things aren't cheap!!!! so the choice of the right length is critical from the get-go.

If I had to pick just one thing where it goes wrong is the oars are too short for the business at hand. Having run boats with Allie Oars and Wood go for the Allie. Far stronger, lighter, etc., etc., in my humble opinion. As for length at least 11' on larger boats you might need to go to 12. But far wiser minds than mine will know more about the oar length than me. You also want an oar lock system that holds the lock and oar in place.

If you are going to pop an oar it will be at the least convient time you can figure!! And that's when the 'fun begins' getting the thing back in the side rail and the boat back under control. Which brings me back to on river set up as you approach fast water.

If new to a run nothing wrong with beaching the boat and going for a short walk and scoping out the situation. If the water is new to you, and has a nasty rep, do the first run with an experienced guide or at least follow one down the river. Nothing wrong with talking up a guide and leting him know what your up too. Just stay well behind him so he and his clients have plenty of space and first crack at the good holding water. And much of that can be far less than obvious. Some sections of the Rogue and Chetco River's here in Southern Oregon come to mind.

Discovered one during a lunch break on the Chetco. Anchored up, pulled out the coffee (read that beers for Wife 2.0 and myself) and put out plug rods over the bow up against this high bank. Lunch didn't last 10 minutes before we had a double going!! Back the next day and a repeat.

Some rivers are almost too easy but it is still a moving/living thing that changes due to water volume, prior flooding moving the bottom around, etc. Take nothing for granted!!!!!!

Another observation, depending upon what you do for a living, is a good float with a business client can be a good thing.