The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Drift Boat Discussion

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017, 07:43 PM

dryfly307 is a jewel in the roughdryfly307 is a jewel in the roughdryfly307 is a jewel in the roughdryfly307 is a jewel in the rough
Default Recommendations for small boats

I'm in the market for a small inflatable boat for floating small rivers. I've seen the Flycraft and have heard good things but they seem a bit over priced (3800 for the boat with oars).

I've also seen a company called Catchcraft that makes some lower priced inflatables. (2500)

Does anyone know of any companies comparable to Fly craft that I could check out?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:22 PM

cochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for small boats

For single person Dave Scadden or Water Master. My son is still using the original tote-n-float model before it became the company it is today. I got the boat in 1992 and it is still going strong.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:20 PM

100954 will become famous soon enough100954 will become famous soon enough

I have the Dave Scaden Skykomish Sunrise raft. I believe it is 9 feet long. Anchor system, casting platform, gear platform, nice seat, etc. I think my wife paid about $1,000 for it several years ago (gift). I have used it on the Madison, Yelowstone, Missouri, Bitterroot, Bighorn & other rivers in Montana. Sets up easy $ handles well. Great raft.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:55 PM

802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold

No Scadden Warranty Service | Washington Fly Fishing

I would advise you to stay away from any Scaden products. I've attached a link that shows plenty of people talking about his products. What's your budget?
The flycraft are okay, but like you said, I think they are over priced.
mcnerney and willyf like this.

Last edited by 802flyfish; 03-19-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:08 PM

100954 will become famous soon enough100954 will become famous soon enough

I read the posts on the Washington website. interesting. I guess I'm lucky as I've never had a problem. Actually, my wife tried to buy the Water Master first and had problems, so she bought the Scadden, from Dave himself at a fly fishing show.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:22 PM

dryfly307 is a jewel in the roughdryfly307 is a jewel in the roughdryfly307 is a jewel in the roughdryfly307 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
No Scadden Warranty Service | Washington Fly Fishing

I would advise you to stay away from any Scaden products. I've attached a link that shows plenty of people talking about his products. What's your budget?
The flycraft are okay, but like you said, I think they are over priced.
My budget would be 2500 ish. Thanks for the info everyone. One inflatable that I found is the Outcast Striker. Still trying to do some more research.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 AM

802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold802flyfish is a splendid one to behold

If you can only swing 2,500 I would buy a RMR storm and put an NRS frame on it. That would be a nice set up for a single/double fishing rig. RMR are made out of very durable material and would take a hell of a beating. I've seen people throw them in back of their pickup truck or strap them to the top of their Subaru. You could float some really skinny water all the way to white water conditions. Where do you plan on using the raft?

Rocky Mountain Rafts - 10.5' SB-The Storm

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/a...0&d=1459184923

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:59 PM ----------

Looked over the raft you posted. I like the drop stich floor. The great thing about DS floor is that you float higher in the water and the raft will be more responsive compared to a traditional I-beam floor. However, i didn't see any info on the material they use for the raft. RMR storm is roughly 10.5ft and seems to be a popular choice for fisherman. There plenty of threads and pictures out there of different set ups. Good luck.
dryfly307 likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 PM

woolyworm is on a distinguished road

You could get a Saturn like this and put a frame on it. 12' Light River Raft | saturninflatableboats.ca
I think this is where Flycraft sources their boats.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolyworm View Post
You could get a Saturn like this and put a frame on it. 12' Light River Raft | saturninflatableboats.ca
I think this is where Flycraft sources their boats.
That boat looks the exact same as a Flycraft minus the color and the bells and whistles. Where would a guy get a frame for the boat?

Last edited by dryfly307; 03-20-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:24 PM

woolyworm is on a distinguished road

You could make a frame yourself. Google homemade raft frame and you can find plans.
Or call NRS and may also be able to custom make a frame. I don't think their base frames would be narrow enough.
This Saturn site indicates that they can help setup and NRS frame. It also looks like they have a wider proto-type model. http://www.saturnrafts.com/12-saturn-raft-kayak.html

I would take a look at the wider model if you are going to be in any big water. I have a friend with a Flycraft and he is really worried about flipping it. I watched him come close to flipping it on the Green during the flush last June.
dryfly307 likes this.