2016 Driftless Trout Pics and Reports

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Cold Nose- Warm Heart- Home river January 24

My first time fishing in January without a ice auger and jiggle sticks.

The new catch and release season allows fly fishing for the first time this year. I thought I'd get out of the house and broaden my outlook.

Short drive to the river, dense clouds and light snow. The forecast was for 34 degrees but it only got up to 24 and at least it was still no wind. I've fished in cold temps and water many times it was cold. After the arctic weather we had I figured there would be shelf ice and bank casting would be easy so wool socks and sorel boots would take the place of waders. I brought my flip gloves but I really dislike wearing gloves doing fine work so I didn't use them, bare handed it all day.

I brought my 3 weight 8'6" CT Redington rod and drift3/4 reel and some 5x tapered leaders, my plan was drifting nymphs, smaller side and light presentations.

The plan worked, I landed 6 nice brown trout and released them lots of hits lost a few and of course had a river monster on that I never seen or landed. Action all day kept it interesting.

Flies used, a Bead head prince nymph on the bigger side like 12-10 cause I was out of them and the small bead head pink squirrel took the most fish like size 16-18

The most interesting thing was the fish only hit at a certain drift speed so casting to the right part of the run keeping the fly out of the fast main flow, too slow and they wouldn't hit either, it had to be just right.

Kept the fish in the river. My iPhone doesn't like cold weather so I only got a few shots.

I had to clean the ice out of the guides every 10 casts, but it didn't bother me too much.

Last edited:

diamond rush

Reaction score
Re: Cold Nose- Warm Heart- Home river January 24

Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing. I love winter fishing in Minnesota. When the wind is down, it is so incredibly peaceful. The snow makes everything except the songbirds quiet. The trout are tougher to catch, but they can still be had. And if you're willing to hike, ski, or snowshoe in a mile, you get complete solitude. You're making me homesick. :)

Unknownflyman

Reaction score

Thanks Diamond Rush! It was quiet, no one around, I saw one other set of tracks, it seems not many people fish the new season. Winter fishing kinda reminded me of Spring steelheading, it was very nice and very challenging, no risers and everything has to be just right or no fish.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score

That looks like an awesome day on the water, congrats!

Unknownflyman

Reaction score

Thanks Guys! It's fun to share my fly fishing trips with guys that get it, you would be surprised how many say, you did what? Why? And you can't keep any?

So I'm on vacation for two weeks and Friday is supposed to be 39 degrees and partly cloudy, good chance I'm going back. :)

itchmesir

Reaction score

Nice report and pics! We should try to line something up sometime. Much easier and closer than trying to meet up on the north shore.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score

Absolutely itchy we have great fishing year round on the driftless.

I was just extending a hand if you and Iowa wanted to explore the Brule river with me. I know it's a long trip for you guys.

Itchy I enjoyed meeting and hanging out with you, say the word we can trade rivers, or meet up at the park.

itchmesir

Reaction score

I got a brook trout factory that you'd enjoy. Even with less than stellar conditions today I lost count once they turned on.

Are you gonna make it to GWE this year?

goat trail

Reaction score

Thanks Guys! It's fun to share my fly fishing trips with guys that get it, you would be surprised how many say, you did what? Why? And you can't keep any?
Amen! I hear this all the time. I too am glad to see others with the same mindset! I like fishing year 'round but winter might be my favorite season. I don't always catch bigguns, I usually catch a few, I always freeze my ass off, and I very rarely run into another person. No ticks! Less pressured fishes! Banks are easy to walk! Tiny flies! And always a nice hot shower afterword.

itchmesir

Reaction score

Winter is definitely my favorite season. A lot less traffic. Fish seem to be just as willing to take flies. No frustration of matching the hatch. Throw on a midge or toss a streamer both will produce successfully. No overgrown banks. And best of all no ticks.

scotty macfly

Reaction score

That's some wonderful looking water, and the fish are really nice. Thanks for keeping them wet!

What river is that? I go to Minn. about every other year to visit my wife's family. If it isn't too far I'd like to play on it.

smarty140

Reaction score

Uggg... There won't be any fly fishing in this part of MN for months and months... good to see some people are getting a out and enjoying that wonderful part of the state!

Unknownflyman

Reaction score

Ard Stetts says keep em wet, I trust him and while there are times when one can snap a quick photo this day was not that day.

I have a deep feeling for our native char Brooke's and Lakers and wild fish and yes I don't miss the expo love it. I had a profound post which I edited but I'm painting the town right now in downtown mpls with my brother. Two hearted ales, cheers

Btw I don't give river information out on the internet, wanna fish? You know how to contact me.

Last edited:

diamond rush

Reaction score

Ard Stetts says keep em wet, I trust him and while there are times when one can snap a quick photo this day was not that day.

I have a deep feeling for our native char Brooke's and Lakers and wild fish and yes I don't miss the expo love it. I had a profound post which I edited but I'm painting the town right now in downtown mpls with my brother. Two hearted ales, cheers

Btw I don't give river information out on the internet, wanna fish? You know how to contact me.
Why are you drinking that Michigan beer? Grab a Grainbelt or a Schell's. The Firebrick is excellent.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score

I like those beers, had a few surly's and a few bells, a few nips of Jameson. Good times. There are so many craft brews now, so confusing. Did some tasting, many are not my thing. My brother lives near downtown north east this might make you homesick. live shot looks like a snow globe out there.

Last edited:

diamond rush

Reaction score

That's really close to where I lived when I was going to the U. Seeing as how we got 3 inches down here, I'm not too homesick of the snow. :)

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

That's some wonderful looking water, and the fish are really nice. Thanks for keeping them wet!

What river is that? I go to Minn. about every other year to visit my wife's family. If it isn't too far I'd like to play on it.
I doubt you're going to convince people who enjoy only seeing their own footprints to name streams, but the entire Root River drainage fishes well during the winter. The Whitewater system is a little closer to Minneapolis and gets a bit more pressure, and it also fishes well all year round.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Sunday and Monday reports were looking good. Highs in the mid 30s. Low winds with a bit of precipitation in the mix. Seemed like a good combination to make for some good fishing. Prior to Wisconsin's new Winter C&R season this area of Minnesota use to get hit harder by border jumpers looking for a fix as they waited until March for their local streams to open. Now that is not the case and now I'm the border jumper. Going back to the comfort of my home waters than chancing on new waters that I know nil about during the cold and bitter months of winter. I'm well aware of what will have shelf ice or be locked up back home and same cannot be said for my new local waters. Also it's pretty much the same commute either side I go with.

Sunday I grabbed my Cabela's Prime 6' 3wt and hit the road. I headed over to one of my favorite stretches of water. Arrived to a crystal clear stream that had a bit more shelf ice than the last time I had fished this stretch. Fishing was tough. The shallower runs had trout spooked before I could even get a cast in. The deeper holes keep the trout confident and less spooky and this is where I found the majority of my success tossing one of my favorite go-to streamers... The simi-seal leech.

I also decided to try a stretch that I had only thought about in the past. Caught a few up this stretch but as I continued up it it got less productive as in zero fish caught and just as many seen. Seems like it could be a little more promising with an active hatch but otherwise most of it's tiny runs were tough for nymphs let alone the streamers I was throwing further downstream. But I did land a couple before it shut down. Temps never did seem to reach the mid 30s hovering more around high 20s and barely breaking 30 likely due to the overcast skies that accompanied the entire day.

Last edited: