The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Eastern

Eastern Quebec and Ontario. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 03:47 AM

kreid is on a distinguished road
Default visitor from scotland....carleton place

Hello , I am new on this forum but active on the UK one! I was advised to ask here for some info. basically, next year, we are moving as a family to near Carleton Place / Lake Missisippi for 6 months, april - oct approx. Have found out about some carp and pike fishing but hope to take some fly gear as well....but what? I am happy to fish for any species with any method. Wondered what there might be locally ...and i can see that locally in Canada is a whole lot different from locally here! My Canadian geography is limited but improving!
Thanks in advance for any info, I will check the local tackle shops when I arrive, but I would also like to hit the water casting!Meantime anyone wanting info on UK or visiting Scotland I am happy to share info about this. Keith.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: visitor from scotland....carleton place

Welcome Keith! While I can't help you with regard to your questions, I'm sure a number of people will be able to weigh in with some great answers!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Aboard Keith .... something to wet your appetite:

For Jollies put in carleton place and carleton place+fishing into Google, got lots of hits (including a local tackle store). Another good source for info is the local Chamber of Commerce. Almost every town has one and I've found them to be a wealth of info for folks coming into an area.

Fred
Old 10-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Keith...sorry I can't help you buthope you're glad we could beat the English in the rugby world cup last saturday
Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have pretty much the same type of waters here. Defininately the same fish. I can help you with all of it. The Pike fishing stuff, if you have not already done it, you will be able to take it back home with you. There are big Pike there. Where you are going is pretty close to Ottowa and a bit more than a 2 hour drive from Montreal. You should be able to find a fly shop in at least one of them. Do you tie flies? If you do, and bring your vice and a few tools I can give you the patterns I use for Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Walleye and Pike. If you do some research, you may be able to get into some Lake Trout. They have them in the lake. You can get by with a rod in the 5 or 6 wt. zone and one in the 8 to 10 wt. zone. A 6 and a 10 ideally. A floating Pike taper on the 10 and a floating line on the 6 and maybe an intermediate for the 6 also but you can get by without it. Also, what to fish for changes as the spring and summer go by. Unfortunately for you, they have a season that is closed for Pike, Walleye and Bass till the second Sat. in May. You may be able to target the bigger Pike shallow right away at opening day, but Smallmouth may be the better target. It depends on the weather. Also if you have a access to a boat it may help your options also. If it's a cold spring go for the Pike. Get back to me with the stuff I asked about and we can go on from there.
Dan

Oh and welcome to the forum.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:14 PM

thanks for those replies, i will have a look on youtube. I already do pike / fly over here so here's hoping. Never seen a smallmouth bass! Looking forward to catching one!K.

Last edited by kreid; 10-12-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: visitor from scotland....carleton place

Oooooo, with a 6-7 weight rod and a top water 'Popper.' NERVANNNNNNNA!

Buggers just slam the thing.
Fred
Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM

grrrr, I have all winter to wait. Used to be great winter grayling fishing here but the last 2 years the black death had wiped out most of the river grayling. ...
Old 10-13-2011, 01:06 PM

thats a great vid....bigmouth (?) bass and a silver scaley fish that looks like what we call chub? Looks a really nice river as well....