The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Eastern (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/eastern/)
-   -   a Dutch man is going to fish in Quebec (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/eastern/1941-dutch-man-going-fish-quebec.html)

EddyLammens 04-25-2007 07:08 AM

a Dutch man is going to fish in Quebec

In August I will visit Quebec, starting in Montreal. I read about Mont Tremblant and Mauricie, but I am still not sure if these are quite good places to go to. I will travel by camper and I am looking for places to fish with dry flies. I am experienced enough to fish in difficult places. What would you recommend me? Thanks, Eddy

dabluz 01-22-2013 03:20 PM

Re: a Dutch man is going to fish in Quebec

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddyLammens (Post 9594)
In August I will visit Quebec, starting in Montreal. I read about Mont Tremblant and Mauricie, but I am still not sure if these are quite good places to go to. I will travel by camper and I am looking for places to fish with dry flies. I am experienced enough to fish in difficult places. What would you recommend me? Thanks, Eddy

Sorry for being so late to answer. I just joined the site a few weeks ago.

Anyway...if others are looking for great dry fly fishing, the place to go is the Saguenay region of Quebec. It's about 5 hours from Montreal. The region is dotted with public lakes that contain only brook trout. Almost all of the lakes have no other fish species so the trout only eat insects.

Don't bring a boat to this area....a canoe is the best water craft or a inflatable boat. Sure, there are tiny streams and a few places where it is possible to fly fish from shore but since nobody does this, you will be fishing in impossible conditions. All the small stream are choked with small trout because nobody fishes them. Due to the lay of the land, there are few small rivers.

Near most of the towns and cities, there are areas called ZECs. These controlled exploitation zones are managed by non-profit organizations who monitor the catch and take populations of each lake. When a certain percentage of the fish have been caught, they close the lake until the following year. The fishing is usually excellent and the fees are very low.

The Saguenay is north-east of Montreal. The area is huge and is crisscrossed with logging roads. Few people speak English in this French speaking region.

Most of the brook trout are rather small (8 to 14 inches) but there are remote unexplored lakes that have very large brookies. There are also lakes close to town that have very large brookies. People with less fishing experience prefer to go where the fishing is easy. When I mean easy, I mean a limit of 20 trout of any size in 1 hour of fishing. A trout on every cast is common.