The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Eastern

Eastern Quebec and Ontario. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice
Default Re: Trout Fly Gear Suggestions?

7wt? For dry flies? for 12" trout? Geez, I use my 4wt to throw medium size flies, even deer hair divers and poppers to 3-4lb bass with no issue. If you were fishing larger rivers with big trout I would say to go with a 6wt but for small ponds and rivers I prefer my 4wt, a 5wt would be fun too.

I use an 8wt for pike, stripers and albies so I think a 7wt would be way overkill in this situation. WAY overkill.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Todd, welcome to the forum. As you can see there are a lot good folks here ready and willing to give advise and share their experiences. Your question is very general so I will give you a general response.

As others have already recommended, find a fly shop and talk to the people there and cast some rods. They will know much better what to recommend for you because you live in the same area, they know the fish and the water there. When you ask us on a world wide forum you will get people recommending their favorite rod to you based on all kinds of factors but none of which are based on your ponds and your fish.

You also will learn more, faster about fly rods if you are speaking to someone face to face and with a selection of rods in front of you. For example, you've already been recommended 9' 4wt and you saw an 8'6" 4wt and already think that 8'6" is the "right" rod for you - which is NOT the case. You do not know the difference between a 9' rod and 8'6" rod. And that's OK, that is my point. And my advise is to not buy a rod sight unseen because some people told you to on the internet!

Once you do figure out the size and weight rod you want, then some brands to look at that have good reputations and put out good quality rods in a "mid-range" price point are:

Temple Fork Outfitter
Redington
Echo
Allen
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
7wt? For dry flies? for 12" trout? Geez, I use my 4wt to throw medium size flies, even deer hair divers and poppers to 3-4lb bass with no issue. If you were fishing larger rivers with big trout I would say to go with a 6wt but for small ponds and rivers I prefer my 4wt, a 5wt would be fun too.

I use an 8wt for pike, stripers and albies so I think a 7wt would be way overkill in this situation. WAY overkill.
It's not the fact that a light rod is not a nice thing to have but I do fish with buddies who have 4 and 5 weight rods and they are always very disappointed when it comes to go fishing with me. As soon as it gets a bit breezy, they lose all control and distance when compared to my 7 weight outfit.

Yes....I will someday buy a lighter rod....maybe a 4 weight for those very calm evenings on a lake but so far, I have not noticed any disadvantages with my 7 weight even when it comes to fishing very skittish large brook trout sipping tiny flies in the middle of a lake. In those situations, I use a very long leader (14 to 16 feet) with a 3/4 to 2 lb tippet.