The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Eastern

Eastern Quebec and Ontario. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 AM

fisherlinz is on a distinguished road
Default Kiwi coming to visit

Hi Guys and Gals, new to the forum but active in a couple of them at home.
I'm a keen fly fisherman and enjoy fishing as much as the dreaded work allows.
My wife and I are planning a trip to Toronto and St Catharines in July 13 and thought it would be good if I could squeeze in a days fishing somewhere on the trip. Any info appreciated. Rod weight, gear minimums etc. I don't want to bring a lot but what basic's etc......
Thanks in advance for your help
Linz
Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Kiwi coming to visit

Bump to top.

Don't know the area so no help there. But lets keep this one on top.

Fred
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kiwi coming to visit

Hey Fisherlinz

July in Southern Ontario is 'tough sleddin' fishing wise. With day temps sitting 28-34 degrees C, most waters in TO-St. Catherines are warm as...well, they're pretty warm. As well, at this time many of the rivers and creeks are algae/weed beds. And if the summer is as predicted, it will be like last year...DROUGHT conditions. Sorry to sound a bit dismal.

Not sure what species you were looking for but because of the time of year and warmth, bass, mostly smallmouth and other centrarchids are the main-stay fish in the majority of rivers in the area you described.

If you make it to the Niagara River...you should be able to find cold water and while I have not fished that river myself, I am expecting it would 'react' like any deep Great Lakes river.....basically, any given cast with any given tackle could produce a wide range of fish from perch to various species of salmon.

All in all, gearing 6-7wt, 9-10 foot with at least a full sink and full floating lines....and a range of patterns though anything leach like (at this time of year) will give equal results to the range of species though expect bass to dominate.

That said, if you make to Caledonia on the Grand River....in july you are hitting the end of an intersting species....Mooneye which are a great little fish on the dry fly. I run 9' 3wt with size 12 caddis (white-grey). Mooneye are not big (Ontario record is 16" or so) but they are pretty and a good evening out. Problem is, if the water is too warm, fighting them can be lethal to them and for that, that is why I say you are nearing the end of that 'season'.

Good luck

King Joe, Outa Here!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Linz...you should get good infos...lots of helpful people here
Old 03-14-2013, 04:38 PM

fisherlinz is on a distinguished road

Thanks King Joe, appreciate the info. Was planning a little earlier but with our bird hunting season beginning in May I had to delay it a little. Thanks again
Linz
Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Bump again.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum Linz, sure someone will be along shortly with some help. Enjoy your trip
Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Just had a minor 'Brain Wave.' Run you question through the SpeyPages web board. There are a heck of a lot of guys there that fish this part of the World.

More info is "A good Thing."

Fred
Old 03-15-2013, 06:09 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherlinz View Post
Thanks King Joe, appreciate the info. Was planning a little earlier but with our bird hunting season beginning in May I had to delay it a little. Thanks again
Linz
Hey fisherlinz

Not sure if you have exact dates when your here (you said 'July')....but I will monitor this post...and monitor conditions.

What i will offer, my Kiwi Friend, is an evening of mooneye fishing. I'll have the flies (I typically supply the "Mooneye Clan" when we go)....and could even have rods as necessary.

As I said though, too warm of water is not great....the fish are there always....and are hopping every evening to some hatch or another.....i'm just not too crazy about lethal fighting if the water is too warm.

Its a nice stretch of river not too far from either St. Catherines OR Toronto (actually, kinda in between).

Let me know if your interested....and I'll....umm...hook you up.

Talk soon

King Joe Outa Here!
fredaevans and fisherlinz like this.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Fisherlinz,

From what I know, you will be visiting about the worst place for fishing for any coldwater species of fish....especially with a fly rod.

Sure, there are bass, walleye, bluegill, perch etc but 99.9% of the fishermen in the area you will be visiting do not fish with a fly rod.

You are going to the most densely populated part of Canada. Geographically, the area is flat so forget any ideas of clear clean cold splashing mountain streams. In fact, the highest mountain in Ontario is about 600 feet high.

Yes....there are a few nice clear lakes north of where you are visiting but in July, the fish don't visit the surface very often because most of these waters have very little oxygen in the upper 20 feet at this time of the year. You will have to go to about the 50th parallel before coming across any decent fishing.
Hardyreels likes this.