The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Eastern

Eastern Quebec and Ontario. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 PM

bp green is on a distinguished road
Default New member from Sault Michigan...

Hi all,

I live in Sault Ste. Marie, MI. I moved here from the north western mountains of Maine's Moosehead region. I do a lot of steelhead and salmon fishing in the St. Mary's Rapids on the Ontario side. But my real love is brook trout fishing in rivers and streams with a cane rod and dry flies. I am 100% catch and release.

The area around Michigan's Eastern UP isn't conducive to that type of fly fishing. I'm not into still or big water with a boat, so there isn't much for me here. I don't know much about the Algoma district around Sault, Ont. and was hoping someone could steer me towards some nice brookie (speck) rivers on the canadian side?

Thanks to all in advance...

George

Last edited by bp green; 04-17-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: New member from Sault Michigan...

Welcome aboard. THis is a great forum wiht friendly and knowledgeable anglers. I don't live near you so I can't help insofar as waters holding brookies. BUt, I can say you picked a great quarry to pursue. The eastern brook trout in our Appalachian mountains aren't big, but they are real gems!

Good luck!

C

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

George: Welcome to the forum! I can't help either, but hopefully one of the members that lives in your area can provide some helpful information.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM

Hi guys. Thank you very much for the welcome. I'm happy to have found my way here. It seems like a great site with really nice people...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! Michigan is a wonderful state (four out of five Great Lakes agree ) I don't know specific spots as I only fished south of the bridge and just a bit north of Wisconsin. But hopefully someone will chime in. Also, don't pass up a chance to fish smallmouth in rivers. Not sure of spots near you, but if you find a wade-able river with smallies they are a blast.

If you haven't read the Nick Adams Stories by Hemingway, you should. They are not only great stories but a good bit of them happen in the U.P and involve some fishing. However, the Big Two Hearted River that Nick fishes isn't the one you see on the map. It's the Fox and Seney is only about 1.5 hours from you. Never fished it but always wanted to when we crossed it on our way from the bridge to Northern Wisconsin.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Welcome! Michigan is a wonderful state (four out of five Great Lakes agree ) I don't know specific spots as I only fished south of the bridge and just a bit north of Wisconsin. But hopefully someone will chime in. Also, don't pass up a chance to fish smallmouth in rivers. Not sure of spots near you, but if you find a wade-able river with smallies they are a blast.

If you haven't read the Nick Adams Stories by Hemingway, you should. They are not only great stories but a good bit of them happen in the U.P and involve some fishing. However, the Big Two Hearted River that Nick fishes isn't the one you see on the map. It's the Fox and Seney is only about 1.5 hours from you. Never fished it but always wanted to when we crossed it on our way from the bridge to Northern Wisconsin.
Hi William,

Yes, I am aware of all that and have read pretty much all of the UP stories I could get my hands on. A lot of Hemingway, Traver/Voelker, McGuane, etc.

I have been here over 4 years now and have fished pretty much all of the available rivers within a few hours driving distance on the US side, including in the lower penninsula. I have done a lot of smallmouth fishing too but it doesn't appeal to me very much.

That is why I'm posting here on the Canadian side of the forum. I am hoping to get on the other side of the border this year and start exploring what that area has to offer in the way of brook trout/salmon. As I stated, I already do quite a bit of fishing on the Ontario side in the St. Mary's Rapid, in Sault Ontario. Now I want to go beyond and explore the rest of the Algoma District.
williamhj likes this.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

George.You should get all the infos you need...lots of helpful people here
Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi George,

Piscataquis County maine, boy did I love going there. I first went in 1979 and wish I would have discovered it sooner. I came up every September from 79 - 87, then had not returned until 1994. My how things had changed over time, remember how many Land locks used to run the Roach River? I once caught a Sunapee Trout in the Ragged River, have you fished on that one? I met a few good fellows up there, even Casey and his helper Scotty at Spencer Bay. I used to camp at Lilly Bay State Park almost alone in that huge place and loved it even in the rain. Back then Kojako's population was 5.

This is an old picture scanned to digital of sunset on Moosehead Lake taken in 1981.
Click the image to open in full size.

I have a bunch of old Kodachrome Slides from my times up there, I Love Maine, if I were to leave here we would go to Maine. I almost bought a place in Monson back in 84 and have always regretted being so conservative and not doing it.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I hope you have great success in your new fishing home. Oh yeah, I climbed Katahdin 3 times too What kind of guy would go there and not climb the Mountain................

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum george
as you can already tell, great group here.
btw...sweet pic ard.

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 04-22-2013, 03:04 PM

jangevaare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp green View Post
Hi all,

I live in Sault Ste. Marie, MI. I moved here from the north western mountains of Maine's Moosehead region. I do a lot of steelhead and salmon fishing in the St. Mary's Rapids on the Ontario side. But my real love is brook trout fishing in rivers and streams with a cane rod and dry flies. I am 100% catch and release.

The area around Michigan's Eastern UP isn't conducive to that type of fly fishing. I'm not into still or big water with a boat, so there isn't much for me here. I don't know much about the Algoma district around Sault, Ont. and was hoping someone could steer me towards some nice brookie (speck) rivers on the canadian side?

Thanks to all in advance...

George
I have heard the Root River in SSM, ON contains brookies. I have yet to catch any myself. Here's some pictures from one section in the late fall when I visited in search of steel (no luck in that respect either. Water had been very low however).

There is a book about fishing lake superior tribs that may contain some info for you with respect to larger rivers... Sorry about being a bit sparse, but I am always a bit over cautious with fishing location specifics on the internet.

Fishing Lake Superior: A Complete Guide to Stream, Shoreline, and Open-Water ... - Google Books