The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Eastern

Eastern Quebec and Ontario. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 PM

leadpipefill is on a distinguished road
Default Boot Stud Pattern

Hey everyone,
I bought some new boots (Simms Rivershed) and I was wondering what studs I should use and what stud pattern I should use.
It's a vibram sole.

My previous boots I bought used and they already had studs, so I have no idea how to do this.

Anything will help.

Cheers,
Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Boot Stud Pattern

Isn't there a pattern that Simms recommends?

fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you won't take the answer and then disappear We love helping people get a grip on fly fishing here.

I have the Simms Star Bite or whatever they're called in a pair of the same boots. They are made to fit the pattern on the sole of the boot. I also used / tested the 'Grip Studs' brand and they worked very well, however they proved to come out under heavy use. In a 2 season period with Simms on one boot & Grip Studs on the other, I lost a total of 5 Grip Studs and None of the Simms Tough Bite star studs.

So....... the Simms studs are heading into season 3. I am getting another pair of boots this spring and will put the Simms star studs on those too. They do show a suggested pattern for them here; Stud Service

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM

leadpipefill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have the Simms Star Bite or whatever they're called in a pair of the same boots. They are made to fit the pattern on the sole of the boot. I also used / tested the 'Grip Studs' brand and they worked very well, however they proved to come out under heavy use. In a 2 season period with Simms on one boot & Grip Studs on the other, I lost a total of 5 Grip Studs and None of the Simms Tough Bite star studs.
Thanks for the input, when I saw those Simms Grip Studs, they looked like they would wear quickly, but I will read more into them.

Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:47 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Being the bottom of your new boots appear to be 'rubber' rather than felt you may not have enough the depth to use the 'longer' first two. The long shaft ones (just a guess) may be as much as 1/2 long and are normally used on the bottom felt boots.

And add my welcome to the Forum.
Fred
Old 02-11-2014, 05:37 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

I just did a cut and paste of an image from a source like Ard posted into MS Word or something that would do the job and enlarged with a copier to approximate my shoe size. Then made marks with a push-pin.

I moved things a little to fit my specific shoe sole. Seems like extra steps but in the end this was a much faster and an easier way for me to be more consistent between the boots. This was for unmarked felt.
oldnewguy likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The Simms star cleats with the Hard Bite are pretty good. Mine are doing well and they are made to fit the lug design of the Simms boot...........
Sep likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-11-2014, 06:50 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

The new Simms boots should be marked on the sole where to put the cleats. Blew out my boots last weekend and purchased the Simms Vapor boots today and the sole is marked where to put the cleats.

Dave
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have an old pair of Simms with Aquastealth sole. I only wear these for rivers and I also use hippers, so although they are pushing 10 years old they get used. Starting to peel so new pair maybe this year.
I have used regular stainless steel sheet metal screws with 4in the toe area, 4 in the heel. I broke down and bought the Simms carbide screws over 2 years ago. Still going strong.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:32 PM

concrete angler will become famous soon enough

Just my 2 cents:

Try to keep the studs as close to the outer rim of the sole as possible (within 1cm of the very edge), and use up all the studs that come in the pack.

I've got the Simms BOA boot from last year, went through a full season like that and could tell the difference with the studs on the outside as opposed to the inside right away.

Depending on the rocks your wading over, having a sports-cleat-like configuration can actually cause more slippage. I like the sole to contact everything softly, but when there is a sideways slippage, then the stud kicks in.

This will also help them last longer as they only contact when needed, and your underwater noise level will be slightly better too.
oldnewguy likes this.