The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Eastern

Eastern Quebec and Ontario. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2014, 01:43 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default St. Clair River/Canadian side update

Oops, this is for Friday Sept 19...I originally posted it originally in Mid US. ...HAH

The Readers Digest version goes like this:

Damn, north wind blew river up.

WOoo...there's a salmon jump.

Fish on....****

Fish on....****

I'll try a bit further down now the suns up.

MAN DOWN, MAN DOWN...**** that hurt!

Long version:

Was on the water at 6:15 am. WHile it was crystal calm and cool, weatherwise, the north wind from the night before suspended sands from beaches immediatly upstream on Lake Huron....visibility pretty much 0. Still, I am there so gonna fish...and I have had luck on turbid days.

Casting for some time (nymphing)...saw one salmon roll which is a promising sign....and get a hook up some time later. No head shakes but a good strong run upstream...and I pull out....****.

Lots of casts and changes of flies...back to the fly I hooked up on earlier...Fish on in a few casts. LOTs of head shakes and a good jump shaking the hook..>****.

Lots of casting and sun now up. At this time, I usually have good luck a bit downstream on the sand flat where a water outtake is (from a hatchery immediate to the shoreline). Walk down in about 2 feet of zero visibility water.

Not paying too much attention PLUS I am on a bit of a sand bar...when I am jumped by a massive submerged concrete block!!!! Likely this block...a 4'x3'x2' chunk of unforgiving, pain inducing stone used for armouring bank...was displaced by ice as it is completely out of place on this sand bar. BUT, I 'know' its there from my times out...but not paying attention PLUS not being able to see SHITE...it was a perfect storm. I tripped perfectly over it...tried to save by drove my shin into it...and basically, like being taken down by a UFC fighter, I was slammed high centered on the block.

Save the rod but that meant only that quadrant of my body was dry. EVERYTHING else...SOAKED! AND I was in huge pain in both shins. Stand up and asess the situation. MY first thought was "oh well, I'll fish for a bit more". but the pain in my shins said..."go wimper on the shoreline for a bit"...which I did.

Head to shore...notice then...BOTH the shins of my waders are shredded. Apparently the combo of stone and bone was too much for the waders. Looks like I'm done.

Up to the truck...strip down...soaked except that quadrant...and my shins are swelled, bruised and a huge gash in one....which at that time was soooo cold that it was a big hole to the bone. As I wimpered in the truck and warmed up...I began to pour blood...HAH.

Anyway...today...none the worse for wear. New waders in a box in the garage...sore shins...but all ok.

King Joe Outa Here!