The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: what is it?

I should have put something in the pic for size perspective. I'd guess it was about 1 1/4" in length.
Not sure about the number of tails, either.
The local lake is small (37 acres) and the creek feeding it is small and normally slow flowing. This time of year it can get some serious flooding, though.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: what is it?

Dobsonfly Whether or not the wings look tented, delta or a delta with two rounded tips is a matter of perspective. Secondly when I said Dobsonfly, I meant that in general and if I were to find one this time of year back there, it might be the Spring Fishfly, which is a Dobsonfly by some's reckoning. The Fishfly is about 1.1 to 2 inches long and if that were one it would be a female.
Fishfly Information - Scientific Name, Taxonomy and Size

The easiest method is to look for tails, and where a stonefly is more likely to have wings tented a fishfly is more likely to have them splayed open a bit when viewed from above.

I do agree that this is most likely a Little Black Stonefly as they are more plentiful and hatching back in Ohio about now.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/