The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default what is it?

I'll admit it right up front - I know almost nothing about identifying the "bugs" I encounter or hear about being imitated.
I'm in hopes I can gain some knowledge from this forum.

Saw a few of these when I was fishing at the local lake the other evening and am curious as to what they are and if an imitation of them would catch fish.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what is it?

The "little black stonefly"
The most common hatch this time of year
There's brown ones too but they're still collectively known as "black"
Old 03-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, what Riptide said.

The nymphs of early black and early brown stoneflies are active this tiem of year. They're dark and a lot skinnier slender than most other stonefly nymphs.
A "Pheasant Tail Nymph" tied with dark brown turkey tail fibers is a good imitation. A 3xl size 14 hook weighted with nontoxic wire and a black bead head helps to to get it down in fast water that the nymphs prefer.

Other dark nymphs about that size tied with peacock herl like Prince Nymphs, Zug Bugs, wire bodied stuff like Black Copper Johns etc or dubbed dark black or brown patterns are a good choice.

Here's a better imitation tied up by member Smalliesrule for our Nymph Fly Swap that's in progress:

Personnally I haven't had as much luck with the dries for this hatch but there's a Black Caddis (Chimera aterima) around size 16 that hatches about the same time, so some dark caddis patterns are worth trying too.

A better imitation for the adults is a size 16 black or dark brown Dancing Caddis on a 2xl or 3xl light wire hook (like a Tiemco 200R). If you tie, here's a link to it in the pattern library: Dancing Caddis

Last edited by peregrines; 03-07-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: To give proper credit to Smalliesrule!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:05 PM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Yup, what Riptide said.

The nymphs of early black and early brown stoneflies are active this tiem of year. They're dark and a lot skinnier slender than most other stonefly nymphs.
A "Pheasant Tail Nymph" tied with dark brown turkey tail fibers is a good imitation. A 3xl size 14 hook weighted with nontoxic wire and a black bead head helps to to get it down in fast water that the nymphs prefer.

Other dark nymphs about that size tied with peacock herl like Prince Nymphs, Zug Bugs, wire bodied stuff like Black Copper Johns etc or dubbed dark black or brown patterns are a good choice.

Here's a better imitation tied up by member Stimulator2 for our Nymph Fly Swap that's in progress:

Personnally I haven't had as much luck with the dries for this hatch but there's a Black Caddis (Chimera aterima) around size 16 that hatches about the same time, so some dark caddis patterns are worth trying too.

A better imitation for the adults is a size 16 black or dark brown Dancing Caddis on a 2xl or 3xl light wire hook (like a Tiemco 200R) Click the image to open in full size.
Hey HEY HEY! I tied those little black stone flies
Stan SmalliesRule
Old 03-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Stan-- fixed!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I tied a dozen black stone dries yesterday too. Plus the black stone nymph patterns have been working a treat with steelies all over the Great Lakes, it seems.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-15-2012, 09:01 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough

Stone flies only hatch moving water and cant live in sandy/silky ect water... so that leaves only one conclusion, that did not come from your "local lake" that came from your "local river"
Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Insects (Insecta) Stonefly larvae (Plecoptera) Stoneflies ... Some species may be found along lake shores with wave action (Peckarsky et al. 1990).

With that out of the way, did the fly shown have two tails? From the picture it may also be a Dobson Fly, female. (grown up Hellgrammite)
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Chuck, and Mike,

I think that a Dobson Fly has more of a delta wing when at rest. That sure looks like a stone fly but it's true that they like moving water as per iceclecreek's post. I don't remember stones on still water but there may well be populations that live in lakes that have a rocky shore line strata. So.............Mike, is the lake a rocky bottom near shore?

Something else I'd ask is, how big was the bug in the picture?

ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Dobson flies are huge and ugly. Unmistakeable. The stuff of nightmares.
Nocturnal too.