The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mysterious bug

That last one is a cranefly, I believe. I like when people mistake them for giant mosquitoes
Guest1 and Liphookedau like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
That last one is a cranefly, I believe. I like when people mistake them for giant mosquitoes
I call those bomber mosquitoes.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 AM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Yea people freak out down here when they see them I just sit back and laugh. And bomber mesquito is fitting because as soon as they land in a pond down here they get ripped apart by bluegill
Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a daddy-long-legs
Old 03-08-2012, 12:49 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Looks like a daddy-long-legs
With Wings!!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
With Wings!!
les Tipules ou Cousins (Diptčres Tipulidae), biologie et développement;
looks like I made a mistake on the translation
maybe not...
Fly Tying Nation
Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Jpb you are amazing you know that? I am going to have a couple tied up to fish for when this storm passes
Old 03-08-2012, 04:21 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Yep, those bug names can sure get confusing. I've heard them called mayflies and mesquito hawks, because they "eat mesquitos". Actually they don't. Around here a daddyonglegs is a spider looking thing that hangs out in the corner of barns.
I found this to maybe help.
Spider Myths: What is a "daddylonglegs" anyway?

Whatever they are we do have a hatch going on. If I leave my porch light on about 6000 of them invade my porch. Can't get in the house without a dozen of them coming in. Gives the cat something to chase though.

Very cool jpbfly. I guaranty if I had one of those I could catch bream after bream right now.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Good stuff guys
Old 03-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

drlaser-- Yup it's a cranefly-- if you have a lot of them around a very simple, and effective pattern to imitate the larvae is a Walt's Worm-- just a size 10 or 12 nymph hook, some lead or nontoxic wire (as an underbody and to add bulk and weight) and gray hare's ear or rabbit dubbing-- that's it.