The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 09:16 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough
Default How Common are these on the east coast?

Click the image to open in full size.

Golden Stonefly correct? This is the first one that I have seen, I was wondering how common these are on the East Coast?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:17 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: How Common are these on the east coast?

Got any more pics of it? Its hard to get a good idea of what it is from that shot, but Golden Stones are pretty common in the East. Check out troutnut dot com you can find just about any aquatic insect on that site.

I was just looking at the site and it looks alot like a Snowfly, another species of Stone.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:01 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

very cool site. Yeah, it doesn't look like a golden. It does look a lot more like a snowfly. I saved it, so I will try and take a better look. It is the first one that I have seen on this river (or anywhere that I fish).
Old 03-26-2012, 08:37 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Thats definitely one of the cooler bugs I've seen, I'm guessing it was an adult?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM

Yeah, I think it just emerged I found a husk right next to it. I saved that too. you can see it floating to the left.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM

The stones have been coming off heavy here, shake a burlrush or branch and the fall out like dazed moths. I get a few stuck in the beard from time to time when bush whacking.