The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM

attila will become famous soon enough
Default Cassis ?

Today while on the stream I noticed what must be millions of tiny little cocoons stuck to the rocks. These were made of tiny pepples. I'm guessing some sort of caddis ? I got pics but can't upload from my phone here(I can send to other phones).I've seen these before but never in such numbers. We had an epic flood last year so maybe that's why.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:27 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cassis ?

Yep, those were more than likely cased caddis! I saw some the other day while out fishing. Looking forward to the photos, as there are plenty who know better than I do, but that sounds like a description of caddis casings to me. In fact, I'll have to track down what magazine (I think it was the winter fly tier) that had an article on replicating them, but patterns like the peaking caddis are designed for that. Try 'em out

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Ok thanks. The first time I met one of these was when I was a kid. I had what I thought was a twig stuck to my hook,but when I pulled it off a green worm was inside lol.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:33 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yeah there's all sorts of neat ways to replicate them, but the coolest is to actually collect fine pebbles and bottom sand from the water you'll be fishing and create cases with glues to slide over your green caddis fly. Definitely goes for the ultimate in realism!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-06-2012, 01:38 PM

This could be why I find small pebbles in trout stomachs. Hmmmm,interesting.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Well, trout will also eat small pebbles and sticks bouncing in the current, they just usually spit them back out lol. Et voila: Click the image to open in full size.
attila likes this.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:47 PM

Thanks for posting the pic for me.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post

Today while on the stream I noticed what must be millions of tiny little cocoons stuck to the rocks. These were made of tiny pepples. I'm guessing some sort of caddis ?
Sounds like a type of Glossosoma species - and yes, they are caddisfly larva. They make little "turtle shells" out of pebbles and crawl over rocks skimming the algae off.

The actual color of the larva themselves (inside the casing) is pink (I believe) and they do frequently end up in the drift as they outgrow their homemade shells.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:35 AM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

It's hard to tell in that pic, but those kind of look like periwinkles.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 AM

The one to the furthest top right does look a bit like a periwinkle, but the best example I think is the one on the face of the rock facing the camera. Though blurry, it shows the agglomeration of little pebbles well. And at the same time, kinda makes the main stone look like a big pebble-magnet