The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 AM

pl4a is on a distinguished road
Default Entomology class--why did I wait this long?

Yesterday I took my first on-the-river entomology class. We started at a the dam of a local tailwater and followed the river 10 miles down from there. We stopped every few miles to seive, identify bugs, and understand why each bug type was there relative to the conditions (sun, oxygen, flow, etc). I was amazed in the drastic change in type and number of bugs in this stretch. Perhaps what was most surprising to me was the change in just the first 2 miles of the dam.

This significantly alters how I plan to fish these waters going forward. Why did I wait this long to take this simple class? I certainly don't the latin names for anything that we found today...but I know many of the common names, why that bug is present in that section of water, what fly in my box imitates the bug, and why it works. Plus, there a few flies I would never have previously tried b/c I was convinced that those bugs were not in this water.

Wish I would have done this years earlier. If nothing else, this seems like a tremendous confidence builder in fishing the "right" fly and I can focus more on presentation. Anyway, thought I'd pass along my recent experience.

-Paul
Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Entomology class--why did I wait this long?

Niice to hear, Ive been thinking of doing the same thing.

I am up in Northern Colorado as well, who did you take the class through ? The only guide I know who teaches these is Al Ritt.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-15-2012, 12:48 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road

It was taught by Josh Rickard (rockymountainflyfisher) through Laughing Grizzly.

-Paul
Old 04-15-2012, 01:17 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I took one last November. One day there was 5 hours of class time, the next day was a half day on the water seining. Enjoyed it very much.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl4a View Post
It was taught by Josh Rickard (rockymountainflyfisher) through Laughing Grizzly.

-Paul

Nice, I love Josh's website. His advice on confdent patterns sure simplified things for me

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I along with a couple of other members of our fishing club have been doing bug round-ups for the local watershed council; we're collecting at specific points on the river looking for indicator species. Taking the training and doing the actual field work both on the water and at the ID day is a real revelation when it comes to tying. The first time we did a bug collection I was amazed at the number of different insects we found in our assigned collection points. I would urge anyone to get involved or take a class like you guys did.

Dan
Old 04-17-2012, 04:50 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

That's pretty cool! It can only make you a better fly fisherman to know what's going on in the stream bed.

My daughter and I did a few amateur macro-studies on some of our local streams back east and it is amazing how diverse the insect life is down there! We even discovered a "hatch" on the upper reaches of a local stream that we didn't know existed prior to doing the study.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:21 PM

manotheskip is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know of any classes in the Los Angeles area? Or in the OKC area from now until May 4th?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Was taught by Ernie Schreibert, 40 some years ago and am still learning.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post

Was taught by Ernie Schreibert, 40 some years ago and am still learning.
Oh my, I couldn't imagine being on the water with Schwiebert! Nymphs Volume I and II are still the anchors of my fly-fishing library.