The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Florida Lake Insect

I fish on a Florida lake and catch bluegills and crappies(called specs locally). Quite often their gullets are full of nymphs/grubs. They are a brownish red color about 1/4" to 3/8" long, and maybe a diameter of angel hair pasta. Someone said they were blood worms but all the blood worm fly patterns I've seen create a much longer fly- 1/2" to 3/4" and much more of a solid red color. There are a lot of blind Mosquitos (midge) on the lake. Since I know for sure these fish feed of these insects I want to make some patterns but I know nothing of them. Are they in the act of rising? There is no evidence of a wing case. Were the fish grubbing on the bottom and eating these insects and them came up to take my fly. The location of the natural would influence how I fished the artificial. I've used a #16 gold ribbed hair's ear in dark tan/ light brown and it has worked fairly well.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 AM

danielp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Florida Lake Insect

Do they look similar to this?

life.bio.sunysb.edu/marinebio/fc.chironomid.lind.jpg

Sounds like what we would call buzzers over here in the UK and there are literally hundreds of species in many sizes and colours. Most of the stillwater fishermen here will have buzzer imitations in their boxes as the fish can feed on nothing but chironomids when they are hatching (and there are species which hatch on every day the lakes are not frozen).

Click the image to open in full size.

This is one of my favourite buzzer patterns although if you search for buzzer on google you will get millions of patterns from our competition scene.

Dan
Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

What you were probably seeing were Chironomid pupa. They are the lake-dwelling cousins of stream-dwelling midges and are usually present in tremendous numbers and fish will wolf them down like crazy as they ascend the water column to hatch.

They can range from 1/4" to over 1" long and come in every color under the rainbow, although most will have varying degrees of red in them.

Here is a pic of a typical Chironomid - note the bright white gill plume... this is a trigger point for the fish that you will see exaggerated in almost all successful patterns.

Here is a row of "Snow Cones" in my midge box. Easy tie and yet amazingly effective when the fish are chomping on chironomids. Just float them below a strike indicator set at - or just above - the level of working fish. A moveable strike indicator helps in case you need to adjust the depth to find that sweet spot.

Here is another one that works well when sight casting to shallow working (cruising) fish. It's called the Rojo Midge and you can find it on Charlie Craven's website. I tie them in olive (seen here) and red.

Tight lines.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan is correct, I love buzzers when stillwater fishing!

Also take a look at the Mercury Blood Midge, it sounds closer to what you are describing:

Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Red Owl, Both Dan and Stenacron are correct. Here is a little info for ya.
CEEC Gallery - Bloodworm

This and Specks love a small minnow fly also. Think Wooly Buggers.