The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By noreaster
  • 1 Post By stenacron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Bug photos

Click the image to open in full size.

Hey I'm doing a Macro-invertebrate study on my stream & I have a bunch of photos

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bug photos

Interesting pics...thanks for sharing
Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

What are those bugs in the bottom right that form a wooden "cocoon" around themselves? I see them all the time in north central PA on Salmon Creek but I never knew exactly what they were called...
Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
What are those bugs in the bottom right that form a wooden "cocoon" around themselves? I see them all the time in north central PA on Salmon Creek but I never knew exactly what they were called...
I believe its a type of caddis fly larva. Where the streams are mostly gravel they make them out of pebbles instead of woody bits:
brucerducer likes this.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Neil: Very nice work, thanks for sharing!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:50 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Ok,

What is the green bug in the top left Pic??? I have never seen this bug. Is your macro study a stream bed study? If so what body of water are you working on, I'll understand if you don't want to share what body of water your working.
That green bug looks like an Inch worm.???? IDK

Last edited by jmac321; 10-20-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac321 View Post
Ok,

What is the green bug in the top left Pic??? I have never seen this bug. Is your macro study a stream bed study? If so what body of water are you working on, I'll understand if you don't want to share what body of water your working.
That green bug looks like an Inch worm.???? IDK
JMAC: That is a Green Caddis or often called a Green Rock Worm, Rhyachophila.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

The bugs are 1 green rock worm, 2, Stonefly head 3, Caddis pupae 4, Stonefly
5, Case Caddis..
I'm doing a stream in West Jersey that has a good trout population. It's a very productive stream with a fairly high O2 level year round & as I'm finding out very rich in aquatic macro invertebrates. I'm planning on posting some more photos in the future of both the Nymph, & adults as soon as I finish cataloging them. So far the highest family of bugs collected has been Caddis Flys & Stoneflys, followed by Mayflies, scuds, dragonfly nymphs etc.

Neil
Old 10-21-2012, 01:47 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Wow, very interesting pictures

THORSTEN
Old 04-03-2013, 01:09 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post

Click the image to open in full size.
Brachycentrus americanus

a.k.a. Grannom

a.k.a. Mother's Day Hatch

Those perfect little tapered stick rectangular cases are their calling card in the larval stage
mcnerney likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring