The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good entemology book?

I just noticed we have a whole bunch of new members posting on this thread so I'm going to make the mass communicatin welcome to Centex, trouton, smoky, mcphoto, and in case I missed him before, the old hat at this with 13 posts, surface film. Welcome folks.
surface film likes this.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 PM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Good entemology book?

I ordered Bugwater last week, oddly enough not because of this thread...but because Amazon sent me an e-mail with a "hey based on your purchases, you might be interested in..." I guess I'm an easy customer to figure out.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:51 AM

mcphoto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I just noticed we have a whole bunch of new members posting on this thread so I'm going to make the mass communicatin welcome to Centex, trouton, smoky, mcphoto, and in case I missed him before, the old hat at this with 13 posts, surface film. Welcome folks.
Much Appreciated! Looking forward to contributing when I can. Thanks DiverDan.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

My preferences have become the Orvis books.

Keep in mind my friend, that there are hundreds and thousands of variants of Mayflies, Caddisflies and so forth. So even if you buy the most comprehensive of books by the best authors, you will end up being inundated with at least, information on literally dozens of possible variants to imitate. It becomes difficult to sort out specific information.

I don't own any Orvis gear, so it isn't a bias as to a product line; but I find the Orvis books to be simpler in their explanations.

For example, "The Caddisfly Handbook" by Dick Pobst and Carl Richards I can recommend (an "Orvis Streamside Guide") ISBN 1-55821-542-5.

Orvis has a general hatch guide for Mayflies, Caddisflies, Stoneflies, & Midges but I found that the specific insect titles have a wealth of information, and divide it into manageable data groups. Because you see, we can learn of dozens of these insects, but finding out which ones to actually use for a particular river/lake etc,and when that "hatch" occurs is where the real work is. Besides, you don't have to drop a lot of money for them. You can get some used for as little as $5.00.

As to Mayflies, I really like "The Mayfly Guide" by Al Caucci,
ISBN 978-09799037-9-3. Spiral bound so it won't break when you bend it, and also waterproof pages that won't get destroyed when you drip water on it.
Extremely detailed illustrations and photos.

You can pick up info on the Stoneflies, Midges, and general terrestrials from general reading and internet searches.
One of the useful search tools is to type in "images" + (for example) "Mayflies". What you end getting are not only photos of the fly itself, but also photos and links to imitations for them, many of which are posted by flyfishing websites, which also have a wealth of info.

Last edited by brucerducer; 01-06-2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Just stumbled across an interesting (and very detailed) review/recommended "Entomology Bookshelf"

link: Entomology Bookshelf

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring