The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stenacron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A couple of bugs

Found this one on my door a few days ago. I'm stumped on this one. Anyone?

Click the image to open in full size.

A Hex.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:07 AM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A couple of bugs

this is a long shot but some sort of Mayfly?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

The first couple are of a male, spinner (imago) in the Stenacron (Light Cahill) family... not sure of the exact species.

The second set is interesting... also a male, imago... looks like it may be a species of Isonychia - Slate Drake (perhaps a warmwater species?).

What rivers/streams are close to your house?

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

These are both likely from the Ohio River. I'm absolutely certain the second bug is a Hex, they were hatching at the time the photo and even made the local news. I've seen these plenty of times and are becoming more common on the Ohio.

The first one throws me. I was thinking Cahill, but the ones I've seen have been more creamy yellow in color in thorax and abdomen.

One commonality is that I found them both roughly around the same time of day (7:00-7:30pm), though weeks apart in appearance and nearly the same location.

My first stop is usually troutnut.com but the site seems to be down. Hopefully this is only temporary, that's an incredible reference to have access to.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:05 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I think the first one is definitely a Cahill; the second by looks is a Hex, would be easier to tell if you had something to show actual size.

Dan
Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 PM

jimspeaker is on a distinguished road

Post your question to the Entomology forum here and I'm sure the moderator of that section, Taxon, will be able to identify it... Fly Fishing Entomology | Washington Fly Fishing

Cheers

FREE Online and Mobile Hatch Charts, Weather, Tides, River Flows, Trip Planner and Journal
http://fishing.smarttripmap.com
Old 07-14-2012, 12:28 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post

I think the first one is definitely a Cahill; the second by looks is a Hex, would be easier to tell if you had something to show actual size.

Dan
Yes, lack of size comparison makes it a little tough. I didn't think the wings looks massive enough to be a Hex, but the overall coloration certainly suggests Hexagenia.

sumojo likes this.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:40 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

1st is a hebe spinner--Heptagenia hebe
2nd is a Hex-----Hexagenia recurvata
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 07-15-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post

1st is a hebe spinner--Heptagenia hebe
2nd is a Hex-----Hexagenia recurvata
Really? I would never have guessed hebe. I thought those dark spots on the forewings are a diagnostic field mark of the classic "summer" Cahills.

Learn something new every day.