The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 PM

wizardofaz is on a distinguished road

Seems lighter colored then most Callibaetis, but I've seen photos of some which look identical.

~ Josh
Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Identification anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Callibaetis.
Around here a #14-16 Parachute Adams would be the ticket.
Pardon me, cause I don't know from nothing about what fly to imitate this, but I have read all of these posts with that question in mind.

Isn't the Parachute Adams a Gray Body? Doesn't that pass for a kind of clear or "crystal" coloration?

And do they have a Whitish fly like that in the Rocky Mtns where I am?

This thought has been in the back of my mind. Is there a pattern that is sort of, well...not White, but a "crystal" Mayfly pattern? You know, sort of an all-clear or "flashabou" pattern.

Sorry if this is like, totally dumb (ha ha) but I have to ask.

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
If it's a Callibeatis, then it is a species (sp?) that I am unfamiliar with... too small, wrong body color, wrong wing color, tails are WAY too short... other than all that though...

Click the image to open in full size.
So is there sort of a "crystal" pattern to imitate this Crystal--colored Mayfly?

Is it the Gray Bodied Parachute Adams which would serve to imitate the Mayfly in your photo?

Old 10-12-2012, 11:31 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I am guessing it's a spinner of one of the Callibaetis species with broken-off tails. The clue I'm focusing on is the glassy wing with mottled black and white markings. I know almost nothing about the different species of Callibaetis and their spinners, though, so I really don't know.

I do know that even within the same species male spinners can differ from female. So with all the callibaetis species out there, one callibaetis photo won't necessarily resemble another. That said, I did find this Callibaetis photo online, which looks somewhat similar to yours, although it's from Idaho:

Nick Price Photography - Blog - Callibaetis
FISHN50 likes this.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:11 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Callibaetis.
Around here a #14-16 Parachute Adams would be the ticket.
I concur Parachute Adams Tied in white, rather than grey, imitates this bug very well. I thought it was a white mayfly at first. But as others have pointed out, the leading edge of the wing points, it being some type of callibaetis.
FISHN50 likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 PM

cincyspey is on a distinguished road

Parachute adams is the best choice imho
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac321 View Post
I concur Parachute Adams Tied in white, rather than grey, imitates this bug very well. I thought it was a white mayfly at first. But as others have pointed out, the leading edge of the wing points, it being some type of callibaetis.
I agree . It looks like a Calli to me also..

Neil
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Pardon me, cause I don't know from nothing about what fly to imitate this, but I have read all of these posts with that question in mind.

Isn't the Parachute Adams a Gray Body? Doesn't that pass for a kind of clear or "crystal" coloration?

And do they have a Whitish fly like that in the Rocky Mtns where I am?

This thought has been in the back of my mind. Is there a pattern that is sort of, well...not White, but a "crystal" Mayfly pattern? You know, sort of an all-clear or "flashabou" pattern.

Sorry if this is like, totally dumb (ha ha) but I have to ask.

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 AM ----------

So is there sort of a "crystal" pattern to imitate this Crystal--colored Mayfly?

Is it the Gray Bodied Parachute Adams which would serve to imitate the Mayfly in your photo?

Para adams can be tied in any color, to imitate any mayfly that hatches- BWO, PMD, PED, to any other body, from grey, to black, to purple (ever heard of the purple haze?).

Most places in the West have a hatch of some sort of bug species that are white in color.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

try this

Click the image to open in full size.