The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 07:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Identification anyone?

I saw one of these guys yesterday and another again today. Roughly around 11:30ish EST. Anyone have ideas on this one?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Identification anyone?

When in doubt troutnut!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Oh, of course that is the rare Ephemerella ihavenoclueus, I thought they usually hatched a bit later in the day...

But in all seriousness, the very white belly of that insect is interesting, as well as the abbreviated tails. Keep us posted!
brucerducer likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 PM

nefarious_1_ is on a distinguished road

What a cool looking mayfly! Now... Which one could it be???

Story of my life...
Old 08-16-2012, 07:35 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Around here, there's 2 (mostly) white flies in August.
Tricos, which are black/white and smaller, and the very abundant white miller.
I'm guessing that's a white miller (white fly) spinner.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Calibeatis.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

My entomology skill-set is obviously not as good as many, but I don't believe this is Ephron Luekon aka White Fly. I'm very familiar with those, having fished the hatch a couple of weeks ago. Those are larger than the photos I've posted here. White Flies in my area are somewhere between 12 and 14 bodies with very long tails.

I also don't think this is a Trico, the body on this was almost a chalky white, and had a little grey to it. What was interesting is there was no hind wing, just the two. Also note the mottle only on the front of the wing. I'd guess this guy to be maybe a size 18 hook size. It was definitely smaller than the dime which may not come across in the photo all that well.

I was thinking maybe some species of Baetis Cochise. Good guess as any so far with the call on Calibaetis.

I'm still clueless on what it is, but it's pretty cool and thought I'd share. I suspect it to be coming from the Ohio River.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:56 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Might be a tough ID using traditional "fly fishing" resources... I'm at a loss and thinking it is probably a warmwater mayfly species (possibly lake-dwelling).

Might need to find a serious (comprehensive) entomology resource to ID this little guy - not the coldwater/fly-fishing resources that most of us are used to.

Callibaetis (sp?) would be my closest guess as well, but my gut tells me we're off base in that assumption.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-17-2012, 10:06 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Around here, there's 2 (mostly) white flies in August.
Tricos, which are black/white and smaller, and the very abundant white miller.
I'm guessing that's a white miller (white fly) spinner.
I'm going along with Rip...BTW a White Miller is not an Ephoron...

Dan
Old 08-17-2012, 10:17 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post

...BTW a White Miller is not an Ephoron...

Dan
I agree, the White Miller is not even a mayfly, correct? Isn't it a fly that looks very much like a caddisfly (even though its classified as a "moth")?

Ephorons are much larger than the fly pictured, and have three tails.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring