The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By FISHN50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 01:32 AM

tugboat is on a distinguished road
Default Bug Collection

Is there a place to buy bugs that I can use for my "Trout in Classroom" project. I have a collection but need big and colorful bugs. Kids don't care if trout eat the bug. Go Figure. Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 12:22 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bug Collection

If you have a trout stream nearby, you could seine a section of it. I am sure that 5 to 15 minutes worth of seining will get you enough bugs for a fish tank.

Dennis
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
Is there a place to buy bugs that I can use for my "Trout in Classroom" project. I have a collection but need big and colorful bugs. Kids don't care if trout eat the bug. Go Figure. Thanks

If pictures are enough, I'm doing an aquatic invertebrate study, & I take photos of them . I have quite a few photos on my skyview. PM me your
E Mail address & I'll send you the link. I don't have all of them I.D.'d yet but your students can do that. You can also get in touch with a local watershed Assoc. & see what they're doing. Most of them do a Macro invertebrate study to assess stream health periodically. I don't know what state your from ,but your State DEP website should have the contact info for the Assoc. you interested in.
Trout in The Classroom is a worthy effort & if I can help out give me a PM.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
thorsten likes this.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If you have a trout stream nearby, you could seine a section of it. I am sure that 5 to 15 minutes worth of seining will get you enough bugs for a fish tank.

Dennis

I thought of doing this also. I think I will look on Craig's list for a used Aquarium right now.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

Where are you from tug? I live in Maryland and do TIC in my school.