The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Caddidflies

I believe that colour is more important in still water than in rivers etc. That has been proven to me by my own experiences. In all cases it is even more important to mimic the movement of the adults as you see them moving on the water. In still water I would locate a school of fish patroling a section of the bank where Caddis were bouncing about, lay my fly out after they went by and then when they were almost back I would twitch the dry and invariably hook or miss a fish. I have taken more fish in the rivers dead drifting a Caddis through the riffles that dead drifting on a lake.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:32 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Kerry,

I agree that slow or still waters may require a more exacting pattern. I do occasionally fish some very slack water, and find that a more exact pattern does fish better than the generic patterns I fish in fast water.

Again I personally think that the twitch is an important aspect. Only live stuff moves, I have to believe that fish also realize that fact.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

Last edited by pszy22; 03-30-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM

socorrofly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Kerry,

I agree that slow or still waters may require a more exacting pattern. I do occasionally fish some very slack water, and find that a more exact pattern does fish better than the generic patterns I fish in fast water.

Again I personally think that twitch is an important aspect. Only live stuff moves, I have to believe that fish also realize that fact.
It's no surprise slower or still water may need a close match the hatch - the fly size can tend larger in size and without more than one species. Humorously, if if I can see these flies clearly I can only imagine how well fish see them...

One stream is magnificent with a variety of deep still water with overhanging banks to nicely flowing runs. It has all the challenges, even though the fish are non-native. They are natural in this environment with a good mix of brown and rainbow trout, the fishing can get fairly selective.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

While it was not a Caddis hatch I once had a situation that was so exemplary of a specific situation with an insect similar to a Caddis.
I was up on Williston Lake (Reservoir) some years ago and there was a hatch of Spruce Bud Moths. These nasty little things look very much like Caddis except for the tented wings. In one of the streams we moored at there were masses of these things drowned or near drowned, drifting down the stream into the lake.
So the problem was the fish were only taking the Moth's that were still alive and vibrating in the water. This is a motion I had not was of properly imitating no matter how hard I tried. If you have ever seen a moth in the water struggling you know the motion, but damned if I could mimic it. Talk about frustrating!
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.