The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Caddidflies

Saw this on E-Bay. I have a copy I bought years ago. If you don't have it and fish Caddis at all you need it. The Author's name speaks for itself, here is the link.
Gary LaFontaine "Caddisflies" fly fishing, trout, tying, book, EX!!! | eBay
fysh, mcnerney and dean_mt like this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caddidflies

Gary LaFontaine was one of a kind, his humor and quick wit always kept everyone laughing and on their toes.

I had the pleasure of spending time with him, Mike Lawson, and Jack Dennis on a few occasions during the early 90's when they did a yearly seminar during the Winter called 'The Traveling Fly fisherman'. It was a two day event on trout fishing tactics and the second day was spent tying with them teaching you tips and techniques on their popular flies. Classes were always limited so everyone got 1 on 1 time with each of them.

I agree Kerry, if a person ties and fishes Caddis Flies, they need to have this book, and refer to it often.
mcnerney and dean_mt like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 12-24-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:13 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

He also wrote a book titled "Challenge of the Trout." I found it in a discount bin many years back. It changed the way I thought about fly fishing, it changed everything for me and I re-read it at times to refresh my mind.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

What!?
A book by LaFontaine in a discount bin?
That's just not right!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 AM

I know and I hesitated to even say it but it was at a liquidation centre where other stores go to die. An amazing book if you can find it.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, Gary Lafontaine's work is superb and Caddisflies is one of my favorites.

Larry

Old 12-25-2012, 11:52 PM

I think what I liked about him the most was that he thought out of the box and if you followed him your mind went there as well. I know many of us miss his contributions but there are alot of us who became more effective fly fishers because of what he shared with us.
fysh and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

LOL! Boy did he ever think outside the box.

In one of the seminars he spoke of an actively feeding fish that he cast to several times, the fish wouldn't take his offering, he thought about what changes he could make, smaller tippet? different fly? No.....he decided to cast the fly just beyond the fish to his "other eye" thinking maybe it would look different enough that the fish would eat.....it worked!

I also remember he spoke of saving his Christmas Tree, putting a base on it and using it as a 'blind' when he'd fish his local lakes for fish cruising the edges. He was able to move from spot to spot in search of cruisers, apparently the fish thought a tree just sprung up and didn't think twice about it.

He truly was one of a kind.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
LOL! Boy did he ever think outside the box.

I also remember he spoke of saving his Christmas Tree, putting a base on it and using it as a 'blind' when he'd fish his local lakes for fish cruising the edges. He was able to move from spot to spot in search of cruisers, apparently the fish thought a tree just sprung up and didn't think twice about it.
Not exactly packing light.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 AM

alexs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
Gary LaFontaine was one of a kind, his humor and quick wit always kept everyone laughing and on their toes.

I had the pleasure of spending time with him, Mike Lawson, and Jack Dennis on a few occasions during the early 90's when they did a yearly seminar during the Winter called 'The Traveling Fly fisherman'. It was a two day event on trout fishing tactics and the second day was spent tying with them teaching you tips and techniques on their popular flies. Classes were always limited so everyone got 1 on 1 time with each of them.

I agree Kerry, if a person ties and fishes Caddis Flies, they need to have this book, and refer to it often.
If a person is not tying and fishing caddis flies, it should start doing those asap. Caddis larvae and pupae represent a higher percentage of the invertebrate biomass than all other bugs combined in most of the rivers the have them. True, not all sections of the rivers have an abundance of caddis (i.e. tailwaters or high gradient mountain creeks), but in most of the trout holding water caddises are well represented.
There are periods (seasonal and daily) when there are more caddis in the drift than other species of "food items" combined. We tend to disregard caddises because we can't see frequent hatches and "spinner falls" and come to the conclusion that somehow they are less important, but caddises are very active from spring to fall . A good amount of caddis flies are nocturnal (or prefer low light conditions), so fishermen don't notice the activity, but the larvae and pupae are very active underwater, and trout notice and take advantage of this.
Caddis larvae and pupae imitations occupy a good chunk of my fly boxes. I caught a good part of my biggest trout on caddis larvae and pupae imitations, some of them during hatches of other species (BWO, PMD). My personal best (27.5" brown) fell to a #14 cooper tung bead brown caddis pupa during a PMD hatch just below a riffle.
So if you are not fishing caddis imitations, you should start doing that as soon as the water warms up a bit. The main thing is that you have to drift your larvae and/or pupae imitations close to the bottom in the spring. Pupae/emergers can be worked anywhere in the water column.
European style nymphing, especially czeck and polish, were developed though presenting caddis imitations to trout and greyling on the bottom of the river. The effectiveness of this style is unquestionable.
I hope i made some of you thinking a bit and give caddis larvae and pupae imitating flies a fair chance.
And yes, "Caddisflies" is the best book about this subject in my opinion. It is a bit too scientific for most fishermen, but well wroth reading and re-reading and re-reading... You don't need all the variations and sizes described in the book, you only need to imitate the species that are predominant in the water you fish. I mostly fish size 12 to 16 green, olive, and tan larvae, and 14 and 16 pupae in grey, tan, olive, brown, and black. Most of them have CDC incorporated in the pattern, some of them have a hot spot.

Tight lines,
Alex
fysh, mcnerney, dean_mt and 1 others like this.