The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Stoneflies

Click the image to open in full size.

Spotted this guy coming down the river this past summer and land on a tree on the opposite side. I set down my rod and scrambled across the waist deep hole to catch him. Ruined the fishing in that spot but was well worth it, I think.

I find myself frequently setting down my rod to chase around bugs coming off the water or to flip over the rocks in the water.
FISHN50, fysh, Rip Tide and 7 others like this.

- Tyler

Old 02-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stoneflies

Very nice work on the photos! It is always good to take some time to look around and see what is going on in and around the water.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM

cincyspey is on a distinguished road

great photos
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

That's what 's great about fly fishing. You end up looking around at the whole ecosystem & find a lot of other interesting things to enjoy. You tend to get involved in other related things I.E. fly tying, photography, macroinvertebrate studies etc

Neil
Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Very nice Tyler, here is my imitation of the adult.

wt bash likes this.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

thanks very much for those excellent photos...I really like the different angles you showed...I am trying to make up a new stone pattern ...and seeing those pics is so great to help get some proportions and general details, body to wing, antennae length etc...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

My Stonefly Nymph
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 AM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure that fly will catch fish, but plastic ready made bug parts are going over the line for me, to each his own though
stenacron and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM

sumojo will become famous soon enough

Some great pictures
Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

plastic is Ok I guess...but you can do it with feathers and fur too...but I must admit I have tried a while to mimick that...and havent done it yet...

truth is what appears above water isnt always what things look like at 5-6 knots and under water...???

either way...I hope you de well with that bug...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/