The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kerry Pitt
  • 1 Post By stenacron
  • 2 Post By stenacron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 AM

tugboat is on a distinguished road
Default Bugs

For Earthday and a member of TU I do presentation on clear cold water with a display of bugs. I need big and unusal bugs. Something that will jar a 3rd and 4th grades mind. Mite there be a place to buy or mite someone donate to my cause. Thanks
Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bugs

You need Water Tigers and Dragonfly Nymphs....seperated of course
mcnerney likes this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:16 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Get yourself some replacement screen window netting, staple it to a couple of broom handles, and hit your local waterways. Hold the net downstream of you, reach back and kick over some stones and dredge up the bottom and you will have all you need in pretty short order.

It would be even better to get the kids out there with you when you collect, but I understand the logistics (and probably legal issues) would likely prevent that from happening.
mcnerney likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

I probably should add that collecting macro's is MUCH easier with two (2) people; one holding the netting, and the other disturbing the stream bed... and an old garden pitchfork really helps with the latter.

I used to take my daughter with me and she would record the species as I removed them from the netting. Each scoop netted well over one hundred (100) specimens... and for your purposes you'll get some "bonus" species once in a while too (sculpins, crayfish, madtoms, etc.).

My daughter hard at work trying to keep up, "BAETIS, CORNUTA, HYDRO, CORNUTA, INVARIA,..."
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's your dragonfly nymph

Stonefly nymphs are all very cool looking

March Brown... quite the oddity from this particular stream

Depending on your timing, you may even get some hatching right in the net
fysh and silvertip8k like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hellgramites are big and ugly and if you live in smallmouth country, you might actually find some being sold as bait.
I remember when I was a kid you could buy "perch bugs" (dragonfly larva) as well, but I haven't seen that in a while.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Hellgramites are big and ugly and if you live in smallmouth country, you might actually find some being sold as bait.
I remember when I was a kid you could buy "perch bugs" (dragonfly larva) as well, but I haven't seen that in a while.
We still have a bait shop(in a house) here that sells dragonfly larva,
. Never heard the term perch bugs thats a new one to me{heard them called just about everything else though!)

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Everyone sells hellgramites especially near the river. Probably be a riot if they sold out!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser