The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 07:37 PM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about
Default do you know what this is ?

went out late in the afternoon and found SEVERAL on the water and flying around. have looked around but no clue what these are
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

this is another one. i put this up because i have been given two different names on the same one.
brucerducer likes this.

Last edited by kicker19; 04-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: do you know what this is ?

No pictures / will not open

You should use an on-line photo hosting site like flicker or photo bucket and load the images from there.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 PM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

im using photobucket. trying to figure out why its not coming showing up[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

GOT IT !!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Pictures are up; the first is a caddis fly and the second a may fly. Someone may be able to get species specific but if I were fishing I'd use a buff or tan caddis & a large Light Cahill for the may fly hatch.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:45 PM

thanks Hardyreels, that helps a ton
Old 04-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Administrator

You're Welcome,

I lived right down in Newnan area for about 20 months back in 1990 / 92. I enjoyed my time in Georgia very much.

Ard

Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 PM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough

I've been gone for a week...super shot of the caddis...and a classic may fly pic too...I have to get out my Jim Schollmeyer book to see which exact one...

thanks for getting the pics...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

The first seems a bit odd for a caddis, perhaps more closely an Alderfly? Second appears to be a March Brown Mayfly or something similar, right time of year, and about the right size.

Kelly.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post

The first seems a bit odd for a caddis, perhaps more closely an Alderfly?
I agree, something is just off about those eyes... they seem too big for a caddisfly. Maybe not though.

I'm going with Ard on that second specimen; Stenacron interpunctatum (female, dun)... aka Light Cahill

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Just curious, did these insects come from a warmwater river?

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 AM

I've shown those same pictures to several folks at the local fly shop and they said the first one was a caddis (they also showed me how to tie a few!) I have not used the caddis patterns yet but I have used a griffins knat as a substitute with very good results. Strangely I have not seen any fishing rising to the mayfly.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

I just searched the alderfly and I don't believe it's that. The alderfly almost looks like a stonefly, just shorter and more broad. Plus it seems thier eyes are not that large